Traveling at high speed

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Re: Traveling at high speed

Post by Paddyofurniture »

Do you know the last thing to pass through a darn space fire fly' when it hit the windshield?

His butt.

The darn space fire fly' are not a problem. It is those rock hard June bugs that are the problem.

Paddy
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I am amazed at the legs this post has grown. Now on the 3rd page, with absolutely no real value. Someone asks a technical question and gets a few cursory replies. Go figure.
OK, got my Nomex suit on, bring on the flaming!
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

if anyone has a chance at conducting this experiment, it me, with my big, angry, force fed mill.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

powerwagontim wrote:Not to be a stick in the mud, but I am amazed at the legs this post has grown. Now on the 3rd page, with absolutely no real value. Someone asks a technical question and gets a few cursory replies. Go figure.
OK, got my Nomex suit on, bring on the flaming!
Tim
Okay, Tim...here goes! ;)

Actually, considering the max speed of our trucks, it was evident to just about everyone that the first post in this thread was made in jest. The rest of us have just continued the thread in the same spirit.

"No real value?" I have to respectfully disagree with that thought. With all the woes in the world today, a little humor is a welcome diversion. This particular thread has allowed us to have fun while stretching our imaginations in our efforts to examine all aspects of the "problem."

Now, then! While you've got your Nomex suit on, would you mind crawling underneath to check the t-case and differential temps for us. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I don't know Lifer, since Tim already has his Nomex suit on, I think he volunteered to be the test pilot. :lol:

This is a good humored thread.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Paddyofurniture wrote:Do you know the last thing to pass through a darn space fire fly' when it hit the windshield?

His butt.

The darn space fire fly' are not a problem. It is those rock hard June bugs that are the problem.

Paddy
I'll bet that neither bug will have the guts to hit it again!

Technical questions deal with fact, which only some us have, depending on the question. This particular thread deals a little more with imagination, which all of us have in spades...

Should we go with the hard top on to improve arrow dynamics, or with the soft top to save weight?!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Master Yota wrote:Should we go with the hard top on to improve arrow dynamics, or with the soft top to save weight?!
I'll vote for the soft top. With space being a vacuum, there would be no wind resistance, so no gain would be realized. The reduced weight of the ragtop would be of great benefit during the launch phase. The canvas could also serve as a parachute during re-entry...assuming, of course, that it didn't burn up first. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Lifer wrote:
Master Yota wrote:Should we go with the hard top on to improve arrow dynamics, or with the soft top to save weight?!
I'll vote for the soft top. With space being a vacuum, there would be no wind resistance, so no gain would be realized. The reduced weight of the ragtop would be of great benefit during the launch phase. The canvas could also serve as a parachute during re-entry...assuming, of course, that it didn't burn up first. ;)

I reckon the arctic top would be better, for aerodynamics on take off and for keeping warm in sub-zero space.
The ragtop would flap around on takeoff and cause lots of resistance......... and might catch fire from the thrusters !!! :roll:
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Hmmmm...yeah....there's that, too. :roll:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

After obtaining a US Air Force Jetpack I replaced the bed on my M37 with the Jetpack and firmly mounted the Jetpack in place.

Once the Jetpack was covered with canvas I made my way to Kitty Hawk NC.

If it is good enough for the Wright brother’s first flight then it should work to test a M37 at light speed.

Wish Paddyofurniture luck!

I lit the fuse on the Jetpack before I started up the largest sand dune I could find. Just as the M37 reached the top of the sand dune the Jetpack kicked in.

The M37 started off skyward with a might roar.

As luck would have it the M37 started to rotate at a high rate and I struggled to keep my bearings, as the rotation increased I could no long hold on and I blacked out.

The next thing I remember is punching through the canvas roof of my M37 and landing in the ocean with a loud splash. The last sight I have of my M37 was a bright red glow still climbing over the ocean.

After being in water for a short time I was picked up by a NC police chopper. I was charged with flying without a license. Next I was booked and photographed .

Will someone call my wife at 555-555-5555 and let her know where I am?

Thanks,

Paddy
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

To infinity and beyond!!!!!!
Let the farce be wit ya.
:lol:
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

I want to send out a big "THANKS" to all of you guys that jumped in on my original post about traveling at the speed of light.
It had all of us laughing out loud throughout the many posts. Humor has GOT to be good for the soul.
Jerry
M37jarhead
Gilbert,AZ.
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Jerry,

You might get a M37 to travel at high speed, it will pass everything except a gas station.

Paddy
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

T. Highway wrote:I don't know Lifer, since Tim already has his Nomex suit on, I think he volunteered to be the test pilot. :lol:

This is a good humored thread.

The question is......................."does tim have the RIGHT STUFF????" I got a pack of Beamens if ya need it tim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I5zY-4ZtkY
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

We all have had a good laugh on this " Traveling at high speed " post.

Let us go forth, enjoy life, and our friends.

Paddy

Member of the "Old OD Green Truck Club (OODGTC)