You bet I'm ready, this time is going to be like a tower raising marathon
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Has anyone installed the Gas fired artic heater on a M37???? I got one, you think that unit is a pain, wait until you see this set up.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I installed a new and complete gas fired unit I bought for $100 at the Summit rally years ago and it worked great but it was noisy and HOT, even on low fire. I'd have to drive with the side window open just to cool off but it did keep the frost and snow cleared from the windshield. The glass would steam as the snow flakes hit and I wondered why it didn't crack the glass but it never did. Finding replacement ignitors is almost impossible and maintenance is tedious and time consuming but in a blizard nothing can beat it for keeping the whole W/S free if any accumulation, ice or snow.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Cool, thanks. Tho by nov, the truck will be put away and never see snow. We are making it a truck that was at Kimpo Airbase during the Korean war and it sure did get cold there. But it will be nice to keep warm on those early parades and our late one for Veterans day in Nov. For us, that parade is tomorrow and we are looking at low 40's. So I am sure I will be thinking about how nice it will be while I drive my No heater 5 ton tractor.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Speaking of covers ...

Post by N1VSM »

Juan wrote:
N1VSM wrote:Is the external cover over the heater housing (big rectangular box) and the point where the duct connects necessary? Besides keeping water off of the system, what does it accomplish?

(Translation: I ain't got one - should I fab one or forget it?)
That cover Is for Isolation purposes, it's wood inside and sheet metal outside.
Could someone who has a bit of extra time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: take some outside measurements of the cover and the thickness of the "insulating" wood? A few detail pictures would be helpful, too. I'm thinking of making one up using some closed cell foam as the insulator. It would be helpful - I live in a very snowy & cold micro-climate. I'm looking forward to using my M for getting to the ski slopes this year.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I'll do that later this morning and post them here if it's the hot water set-up you need pix of but if it's the gas fired one I can't help as I sold that truck years ago.

Album of 18 pix at:
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n62/ ... r%20Cover/
Last edited by Carter on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I've installed both the gas fired cab heaters & the gas fired power plant heaters. It isn't my thing, we simply don't need that kind of heat here in NC. As someone already said, maintenance is a BIGGY & parts even worse. For a period museum piece, great addition, for practical use, it's a big no go. Many better options available.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com