Building a retro M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

T. Highway

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by T. Highway »

Nice job on the intercooler tube, this project is coming along nicely.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Here you go M37UK. I bought the plugs at a company called MRO Electronic Supply in Edmonton. http://www.mroelectronics.com/mro/cms.php?id_cms=4
They are working on their website and it is hard to find some parts. I went to their store and found this one on the shelf. The brand is a AMP part and the number is 206613-1 and 206612-1. I liked them because they have 20 small pins and 2 large pins. That way I could run my fuse box power supply though the firewall plug. The pins are numbered on both sides so that makes it easier to work with. The pin part numbers are 66099-2 and 66101-3. The large pins are 66261-2 and 2-66740-1. Here is a picture of the plugs. Oh ya the small one is a military plug they had that I am using to plug in the windshield wipers. That number is 206612-1.

Here is the dash as it is now

I sure like it when you do your tests on your electrical and all your planning is correct. Lot of wires to think about!
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Thanks for such a detailed reply, I will have a look at their website.

Cheers
Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Well today things got real exciting. Finished building the brake lines and the power steering hoses. Bled the brakes, filled and bled the power steering and topped off the tranny. Did a in shop test to make sure everything worked and took her for a short spin. Body parts are at the sandblaster, parts are in transit from Midwest Military and Vintage Powerwagon. here is a video of the first drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPFR-WWkrtM
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

ITS ALIVE!!! ITS ALIVE!!!! :D WOW! THIS DRIVE MUST HAVE BEEN SO EXCITING, I CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT IN YOUR FACE EXPRESSION MY FRIEND!! I AM GLAD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT AS YOU EXPECTED! I BET YOUR TRUCK WILL BE STANDING OUT OF THE CROWD FOR SURE! I NOTICED HOWEVER THAT IF YOU INSTALL THE TOP, YOU MIGHT HAVE A SLIGHT ISSUE WITH YOUR GARAGE DOOR HEIGHT. THANX FOR SHARING THE VIDEO :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Excellent video of the first trip out of the garage.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I bet your still smiling. Now you have to build a new garage so you can get it in and out of the garage once it's finished... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Oh ya. Still smiling. Now its getting real interesting with all the new parts arriving and things getting painted. As for the shop door, yes its a 7ft door and the truck is 7 foot 3. I'll be driving it out without a top on and windshield down. My other garage attached to my house has a 8. Ft door so I am ok. To work on it later I have a set of old rims that i'll use to get it in and out in the future.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Sweet! Very nice work indeed.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

So I got parts back from the sandblaster. Did final mock up on the front and started to assemble the box. New tailgate is here now too and ready to be installed. Intercooler is fitted and needs mounts welded on yet. Waiting for the grille to be installed for the last time to mount the cooler. here are some more pics.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Well I got the box assembled. I must say the parts I got from MWM fit excellent. Have it assembled waiting for paint. The front end is out for paint right now and I will post pictures of that installed. here is a pic of the box

Then I finished the floor. (beats the carpet I talked about earlier in this post) What do you think?

The las thing i did was the rad surge tank. I had no idea (at first) where to put it. So I grabbed a piece of 4" exhaust pipe and started putting it here and there. This is what I came up with. The clear tube is a guage for me to see if there is anything in there. Also there is a drain on the bottom in case there is too much in there. It has no filler cap because for one you can't get down there to fill it anyway. but the rad will push some in there when it warms up and take it back when it cools off. What do you think.

The last thing is I have a request from any one. I need a picture of the door seals to see where they go and at what clocking. Also the windshield to cowl seal. The front fender seals came with a split rivit thingy. Do you just pust that through and spred the prongs to hold it in? Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I think i have a pic of the door seals & I can take a pic of the windscreen bracket/gasket install.

Let me know if you need another or a better shot, I used small s/s phillips screws to mount them, I got all of my rubber goods from John & Midwest Military.

The holes on either end are where the small step gasket goes, it rubs on the door as it closes. Do you have the metal strap/support for the windscreen bottom, it rests in the gasket itself, I used it to make the holes in the gasket. I will need to take a pic of this with the windscreen lowered.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I don't see a seal on your lower windshield. The seal you show on the bottom of the door opening I laready figured that out. It is the seal that gets glued to the door that I am not sure which way it goes. And I need a picture if the windshield to cowl seal. I think it goes large part out. Also the wheel opening seals have those goofy split rivet things.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I'll take the pic's needed right now, the windscreen has the taper facing forward & the fender welting also has the bulk outside, it attaches to the engine bay filler panel.
Be back in a minute.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Lemmie See.......

Image Image

Image Image

I'll ad the next couple in another post.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA