Tire question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37_power
CPL
CPL

Tire question

Post by m37_power »

I know tires are a popular post on here.... :D but i have a question of my own. I plan on taking my m37 offroad as well as onroad. I am looking at a set of 39.5 x 13.5 R16 IROKS to mount on my stock wheels. I have a good friend that put them on his M715 Jeep with the same rims. My question is this..... will i chance damaging the drivetrain in this truck with going to that big of a tire and will the 5.83 gears with the 6 cyl have enough power to turn them? i highly doubt it i will damage anything, but i still have alot to learn about them. I am also adding lockers to it as soon as I find a set. I just dont know much about the front and rear end. I appreciate any and all help.
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

It will be fine I have 11.00x16 xls and they are just under that so I have no question it will work. But why Irocks? Why not 11.00’s
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Tire question

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m37_power wrote:I know tires are a popular post on here.... :D but i have a question of my own. I plan on taking my m37 offroad as well as onroad. I am looking at a set of 39.5 x 13.5 R16 IROKS to mount on my stock wheels. I have a good friend that put them on his M715 Jeep with the same rims. My question is this..... will i chance damaging the drivetrain in this truck with going to that big of a tire and will the 5.83 gears with the 6 cyl have enough power to turn them? i highly doubt it i will damage anything, but i still have alot to learn about them. I am also adding lockers to it as soon as I find a set. I just dont know much about the front and rear end. I appreciate any and all help.
Big mistake. This size tire is too wide for stock rims. The 11.00X16 mentioned is designed to fit the more narrow rims of the M37. 11.00X16 is a smart choice, however run from the others.

Will you experience problems in other areas on the truck? Depends on the condition of everything else, I'd want a top notch truck before making this conversion. If it isn't top notch, you'll come to realize it pretty soon.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I agree with Charles on this one. He didn't address the power issue that you raised, however, so I'll attempt to do that. How you define "power" has a lot to do with the answer, though. Power is defined as the energy required to move a specific load a specific distance in a specific amount of time. The stock M37 engine has a lot of low-end torque, providing tons of "power" to get the job done (if somewhat slowly). People often equate "power" with "speed," which is a serious mistake. The stock engine does not have much of a "top end," so if you're one of those who thinks of power as top speed, you will be seriously disappointed.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

I have 4 Deman Mudd Doggs with tubes/flaps that came off mine. They have about 90% tread. I can look at the size/info if you want to buy locally. Where are you located?
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

well hek i have a set of 11.00x16's ill sell but unless you are in florida you will need them shipped.
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

thanks for all the replies. i live in northern wv so both offers would require shipped of the tires. after researching this past week i completely agree with that being the wrong size tire for the truck. does anyone have a link to some 11 - 16 tires? that would help me out alot. also, i undestand that the truck is pure torqe and speed is not going to be found in it. I appreciate everyones help. Im very anxious to start tearing the truck down. im just trying to find tires first so i can roll the truck out of the garage. the stock tires are so dryrotted they wont even hold air.