Tailgate mounting questions

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Tailgate

Post by Nickathome »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:I used a piece of pipe, welded a nut in each end, and then a bolt with a flat fender washer.
What purpose does that serve though by welding a nut in each end and installing a bolt and washer? The tailgate is not going to slide out of the mounting brackets once mounted! Just curious as to why you felt the need to do this.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

By having a hinge pin (the pipe is not part of the tailgate), I can pull a bolt, pull the pipe and remove the tailgate.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It may not be "correct," but it's hard to fault logic like that! :) (It might look a bit better if you were to paint the bolts and washers to match the tailgate, but that's just my opinion.)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Almost there, but still more questions (one, actually). All of the bolt locations and configurations are good to go-no clearance issues of any kind. My last issue is with the centering mount in the middle of the pipe. The center mount plate I received comes straight out then curls up on the end (to wrap around the pipe). It appears to me that the other end of the mounting plate where the 2 bolts attach should have roughly a 45 degree bend upward (again, in order to support the pipe in the center).

Common sense tells me that I need to bend this piece skyward in order for it to support the pipe-is this correct? A picture would be a big help.
Thanks,
Gary

My plate (who needs Clip Art :shock: :

__________________)

My proposal:

\ _______)
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Easier solution

Post by DAP »

I will make a big dangerous assumption here that the end goal is to be able to remove the tailgate when you want.

I made an easier solution but then never used it because I have not yet found a situation where I want to take my tailgate off. If it is in the way I let it hang down verticle below the bed. BUT IF I did want to take it off AND IF I wanted to use my solution here is what I did with my tail gate mounts:
1) I took the RH mount and cut out the top part of the hinge just enough to let the "pipe" be lifted up.
2) I unhook the tailgate tip it back about 45 degrees and lift the RH end and slide the entire tail gate to the right until the left side is free.

My hinges are not tight so there is enough movement to allow angling the gate upward. It requires no tools and is quick.

got this idea by looking at newer trucks that have tailgate hinges and one slide slotted to allow gate removal so it isn't an "original" idea but an adaptation to the M37. If you have your tailgate extended with chains so it is level with the bed the weight keeps it in the slot unless you drive crazy on bumpy roads. With the tail gate up and the chain hooks in the upper slots the tailgate can't bounce out on rough roads. I like my idea (I even cut one of my extra hinges) and would use it if I really needed it but I don't. Just another idea.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks DAP. I see no need to remove my tailgate (but definitely don't want it to be swiped either-these things are GOLD) so I need to be sure I have the added security and support of the center mount on the tailgate pipe. It appears that I'll need to bend it as previously described in order to do so.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Hey, Thanks Lifer. Actually that picture was while I was building the tail gate. Here is how it looks now.

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site