Really cheap hardware guy..

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Valid points on all sides. I wished we all lived closer to each other so we could have a beer and talk politics next :lol: We could probably come up with better ideas than Washington based on the common sense we all have on here the forum :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HingsingM37 wrote:Valid points on all sides. I wished we all lived closer to each other so we could have a beer and talk politics next :lol: We could probably come up with better ideas than Washington based on the common sense we all have on here the forum :)
Well I don't drink beer, but it's getting the time of year that a really good cup of coffee goes down great. I sure would love to sit down & talk, would be a great time for all.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:Nick I agree with most of what you said. You would be surprised though how some people will react when the freebies have to stop for whatever reason. People will actually get mad over it. Our situation here falls into a little different catagory, we do lots of little things along the way on a rebuild that could be considered in the hand out catagory, but because they are buried deep in mechanicals somewhere they are never noticed. It's not that many folks aren't doing this & that in the extra catagory for their customers, many times it is simply the unknown that has saved the butt down the road on the customers behalf. More times that not, that customer never realizes it ever took place. Here is one for instance. Most folks on this forum know we offer a pinion seal upgrade kit. For every person who has ever ordered this kit, I have taken the time to press the new seal into the retainer before it leaves here. I use the best quality sealer I can find on it before pressing it in, that sealer is $14 per tube & the time it takes to press it in is time we could be on something else where profit can be recognized. I'm glad to do this & have never mentioned it, only now do I mention it because of shedding light in this thread. Little extras are just that no matter what form they come in. I see both sides of this issue very clearly, can't say one opinion is right & the other wrong.
I think the person who gets miffed over no more freebies is just as bad as a tightwad business man. One should never come to expect a freebie. As I said, its when you get one and didn't ask for it, that is when its appreciated.

Now, if you are including something at no charge an not informing a person who will otherwise never know, (such as to press a seal into a container), then I guess that one can fall either way. If you stop doing this service is the customer ever going to find out, many times not depending on the service. I guess no harm no foul in that case. If a service that's outwardly noticeable then yes I can see where questions may be asked if it suddenly ceases. I guess its a double edged sword that somebody is always going to be unhappy about. Nature of the beast I guess. In a sense I'm glad I don't have my own business because I don't have to think about that sort of thing from a making a living standpoint.