Well the project has begun

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Rail man wrote:I have got a cab that you my be interested in, it has been acid dipped and then dipped in paint, it looks like this method get the rust off were sand blast my not and the paint also get back in everywhere. The reason I didn't use it is because the cowl is cheesy, and I had another cab in better shape. I live in Akron it may not be to far to drive for a look.
Akron you say.....Hmmmm... PM sent!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

We've been using acrylic enamel from PPG under their Del Star brand available at most major automotive finish stores. It was strongly recommended for this application. We bought a 12 pack of Gillespi rattle cans and had a spray out card done to match. The paint requires a hardner and reducer - and if you want low gloss- you add a flattening agent. The flattening agent finish is not as durable so we elected to leave it out. Zach likes the higher gloss anyways. We also had our 2 part epoxy primer mixed to match in case there was a scratch later on in life. The stuff is expensive but gives great results. The Gillespi rattle cans tend to take a long time to cure out and appear to be a bit soft for awhile.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Same Here

Post by m-37Bruce »

I used NAPA (Martin-Seniour) hardener & reducer, lot 'o shine for me.

[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/299 ... .jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/294 ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Update

Post by k8icu »

Got a little more done on the truck and thought I'd share some more pics. The web page is starting to get picture intesive so dial up beware.

http://www.leathernaturally.com/m37project.htm
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Save or Not Save

Post by m-37Bruce »

What remnants of either harness were left there? FYI, Douglas or Packard, the Douglas, (metal) shells should be salvaged, Purest want/need them, they clean 'em up, & re-clad them.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Because of the rust factor...most of the shells crushed when I tried to grip them and pull them appart, or had been cut off completely. When I say the wiring was a mess I wasn't lieing...:)
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

10/4, just making sure.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA