Military Vehicles Magazine

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Military Vehicles Magazine

Post by vargaspj »

I've got a beef with AIM publications who own Military Vehicles Magazine (MVM).
Two months ago, I got my issue and was very disappointed.
Sadly, I think that that publication has been ruined.
An introduction page in the magazine chronicled the changes.

They combined MVM with their other magazine Military Trader (MT), and it will now be published once a month rather than every two months.

I subscribed to MVM because I was interested in military vehicle. I have no interest in buying, selling, or trading other military memorabilia. Now that they combined both magazines I've got to wade through articles and advertising for memorabilia that I have no interest in; the added content clogs up the magazine and makes it harder for me to find articles that I'm interested in reading.

MVM was published on bright white paper which made the images, picture, and printing crisp and easy to read. The new combined magazine is printed on cheap brown newsprint paper that produces fuzzy washed-out print and even worse images, making everything harder to see and read. For a magazine that prints photos of vehicles and such this is very disappointing and just makes the articles hard to read and the photos painful to look at.

I can only guess that this was a cost-cutting move. Combining two magazines into one probably meant reducing the staff needed for two magazines into one. Also, the move to a cheap newsprint from bright white stock probably saved them a lot of money.

They went from a good quality magazine featuring military vehicles to a cheap rag with added content I have no interest in printed on paper that makes everything harder to read and see; and their introduction to the change in last month's magazine was touting what a great thing it was for the subscribers to MVM magazine.

Now when I get the combined magazine I scan through it, read the Tech Tips section and maybe one or two other articles, and then promptly throw it in the trash.

After all these years I definitely won't be renewing my subscription.
Any other subscriber's to MVM agree with my assessment? :x
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Military Vehicles Magazine

Post by PoW »

I gave up on it when Army Motors magazine went away.

The MVPA is just a shell of what it once was...

PoW
U404S
PFC
PFC

Post by U404S »

I felt the same way Vargaspj. I read some of those militaria articles and looked at the memorabilia being advertised. I don’t identify with that side of the hobby at all; and to be honest, it creeped me out. I miss the MVM of the 1990’s. I think that was its best decade. I’m not sure if I will get used to this new publication or not. I need to see if they offer all of the old issues as a searchable download. Most everything I need is covered in those anyway.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I agree, the new magazine is kinda trashy. like others, I have no interest in collecting, and my vintage vehicle is a now restored M37, and in the about 8 years I have owned and restored my truck, I don't think I ever actually used any of their articles. So all the jeep adds are not useful to me. I have kept the issues for the past 8 years, but will let this subscription die when it runs out. I have let lapse a lot of my former subscriptions, to car mags, gun mags and such. Just less interested in what they have to say, and have other things to do, although I still shoot and reload and fiddle with my cars.

At now 76 years old, I guess I am just simplifying my life. I do plan on brining my truck back to the house today, from the hanger at the airport where our little club keeps them. I need to haul some stuff for our new home. All the best, guys, hal
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I hope those of you who are disappointed with the change will take the time to let them know why you are allowing your subscription to lapse.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

interesting that the latest issue has an article on the Bofors 40mm. One of the members of our small Heritage group HAS a towed 40mm, now apart in our hanger, slowly being restored. Here a picture of his Bofors. Has the barrel at his house, now a 106 barrel next to it. now.
halImageImage
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

Wow! Your member probably has a copy but I just recently finished reading the book "The Bofors Gun" by Terry Gander, published in 2014 by the Naval Institute Press, ISBN 10: 1783462027ISBN 13: 9781783462025. May be out of print but ABE books has used copies for sale. Really great book on the Bofors, lots of detail on use and development. Highly recommended reading for anyone interested in this fascinating weapon. Great picture on the gun by the way. Outstanding!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Hey Group,

It's been a while so I figured i would chime in on this. As a collector of both I was thrilled until I opened the magazine and found the paper reminding me of a cheap freebee newspaper. I kept checking to see if the ink came off on my fingers. Some of the type was blurred. Mis-identified pictures as well., One of the last issues of MV I received before the change actually had three duplicate pages towards the rear. We shall see if this improves..

As for Bofors, here is one I restored for the MAPS Air Museum years back:
bofors2.jpg
bofors2.jpg (138.71 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi David,

Its been a while since we chatted but that is a great picture, please post some more of the restoration if you have them.

Regards,
Bert
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Still looking for those resto pics...buried somewhere... LOL

As for Military Vehicles/Collectors Magazine I am done. One issue had an article more or less condoning the name changes for US Military bases to be politically correct. A magazine based on history condones erasing it?

I sent an ad for a recent event to their show listings email three months ahead of time, sent several times. I never got a response and the listing never appeared. Having to turn past all of the militaria auction listings to get to something I want to read is a pain IMHO.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".