Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

greencom
SGT
SGT

jeep head studs?

Post by greencom »

Hello,
I recently noticed that my new Willys MB head studs would seem to work in my Dodge 230 engine. Same thread on block end and a good amount of thread
on nut end, plus torque values for the nuts are close to the values on the 230 bolts.. Since studs for the 230 engine are kind of hard to find,is there a glaring reason not to use them on the 230? I just want to have a more reliable source of studs since the head may have to come off a couple of times and I have had much better experience using studs vs bolts in old engines, plus I have a good supply of jeep studs. Since I've never seen the subject brought up anywhere, I assume there must be a good reason the jeep stud idea must have a flaw in it.
Thanks in advance.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: jeep head studs?

Post by PoW »

I'd use them. In fact, I have seen early Chrysler flatheads with them factory installed.

PoW
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

Thanks for the reply, I think the Dodge WWII WC Dodges used studs.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I got black oxide coated studs for my 230's head from one of the vendors. Used non-hardening thread sealant on the threads, so when re-torquing the nuts it didn't break the seal. Working well some thousands of miles later. hal
ImageImage
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

That is a beauty! Thank you for the reply and thank you for your service.