M37 Starting

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

slk
PFC
PFC

M37 Starting

Post by slk »

Hey guys just a quick question. My M37 has always started like an old 6 volt system. What I mean by that is the starter seams to turn slower than any of my vehicles that has 12 volts. I would have thought with it having 2 huge 12 volt batteries in series (24 volts) it would spin pretty fast. It starts just like my old Farmall tractors with a 6 volt battery on them. Is this typical????

Thanks
Steve
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: M37 Starting

Post by ez8 »

Not from my experience. The starter should be lively, just like on your daily driver.

Either you've got low batteries which might indicate an electrical issue (e.g. parasitic drain, bad ground, generator inop and not charging batteries) or your starter is going which would require a rebuild.

Give your batteries a good charge and see how it does. Once you confirm the batteries are good we can start diagnosing from there.
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

Just charged the battery's. It started like this when I got the truck and it still started like this after I bought 2 new battery's. I can do a short video of it starting with sound if that helps.

Thanks
Steve
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Sure, we can give it a listen.

In the future, you'll want to post this kind of thread to the technical section, as well. Maybe one of the mods can move it there for you. You'll get more responses.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Moved... :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The original 24V starter cranks with a 'stately' speed. More than enough to get it going.

PoW
Monkeywrench

Post by Monkeywrench »

The front bushing in the starter takes all the side load from the starter pinion when it is engaged with the ring gear. It is prone to wear out and allows the armature to drag in side the stator. It will still turn, but much slower as the wear progresses.

All the wear is on the opposite side to the ring gear. For an quick fix, you can press out the front bushing and flip it around so that the unworn side will support the rotor.
WenatcheeM37

Post by WenatcheeM37 »

Hello all - the nose of my 12 volt starter cracked off! Any ideas if a housing could be found? I bought a 24 volt version on eBay but the dimensions are different. Thank you.