Vacuum wiper instalation

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Vacuum wiper instalation

Post by jahrafa »

Hello again. I am installing the vacuum wiper system and putting the folberth motors. does anyone have a diagram of how the lines are routed and how the system works?

Thank you in advance.

Rafael
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Re: Vacuum wiper instalation

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi. I have the same motors, but as I need to rebuild almost the whole windshield due to rust I haven't installed them yet.
The attached image is simple but helpful.

Sebastian
Attachments
Vacuum wiper lines
Vacuum wiper lines
fileE53U42KF.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 261 times
jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Post by jahrafa »

Thank you Sebastian. Great help!

Where is the control valve located for the folberth motors? mine does not seem to have a on/off switch like the ones on the diagram. I have those motors on my M38 but the folberth motors are different and I am not familiar with how they work, turn on, etc.
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Hola Rafa, sorry but I've been busy.
I think the model you're referring on your M38 is the KSB Trico. To be fair I'm somewhere in the same position as you as the M37 that I used to drive 20-somethign years ago had the same, and here we are talking about the cinlindrically-shaped ones.

These are mine.

If you look at the unit on the left, there is a rounded knob (right next to the outer port) that acts as a pressure releaser. I think this is the way to activate it. Some other folks here that have the same model can bring some light.
The lines are routed same as in the Jeep, using the A-pillar of the windshield. I've never seen this model in action and I have them with me, not in the shop where the truck is (...yes, I know I should do test them).
Hoses can be purchased even in Amazon.

I'm still trying to know what this curved pipe does or what's the intention of having it.

A lot of people will tell to go for the electric wipers. More reliable, no problems when going uphill, less maintenance seems. Eventually I will, I guess.
From what I've read, Trico bought The Folberth Auto Specialty from Cleveland, OH a few years after this model came out and started commercializing it under the Trico-Folberth name. The Folberth bros had the patent on the "automatic windshield cleaner" referring this model.

Small image, sorry (open it in a new tab and use the zoom).
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)