STA Super Lugs

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M6Scout
PVT
PVT

STA Super Lugs

Post by M6Scout »

Anyone have a set they want to part with?

Thanks
M6 Scout
Cal_Gary

Re: STA Super Lugs

Post by Cal_Gary »

Assume you're looking for 900x16s?
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
M6Scout
PVT
PVT

Post by M6Scout »

Yes thank you. I should have mentioned the size I’m looking for. 9.00x16
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

At one point, I heard people saying they could no longer find the 9.00-16 STA Super Lug tires new. I don't know if that was just temporary supply chain issues, or have they been discontinued?

Vintage Power Wagons has STA Super Lugs in their catalog. I don;t know if they have any in stock.

If worse comes to worse, Ryan Kight has advertised new 9.00R16 Michelin XL tires on the Dodge M37/M43 Facebook site. At the time (August 2022) he was selling them at $335 each plus shipping. He works for a tire dealer, so this was not just a single set he had to sell. (He also sells 11.00R16 and 325/85R15 Michelins as well.) If you don't do Facebook, I can probably dig up an email for him, if you are interested.

EDIT: Found Ryan Kight's email: rkight@colonytire.com
Last edited by John Mc on Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Looks like they're still available:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-71014

I have a set and love 'em, but they do wear quickly since the rubber is soft. Great grip, short life.

Andy
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

The Specialty Tire of America (STA) Superlug Tube-type size 9.00-16LT tire is an 8-ply rated tube-type tire with an STA product code of LT286.

STA also makes two other Superlug Tubeless size 9.00-16LT 8-ply rated bias-ply tubeless-type tires with STA product codes of LT285 & LT28M.

If you’re putting these tires on the standard M37 Budd-type rim make sure you get the tube-type bias tires with the STA LT286 product code. You don’t want to try and run the tubeless tires on your rims; the bead seat angle is different for a tube-type tire and a tubeless tire. Also if you try to run a tubeless tire with a tube inside, friction between the tubeless tire and the tube can cause excess heat to build up in the tire assembly which is not good. The standard M37 rims are made for a bias-ply tube-type tire with an inner-tube and a flap.

The G741 parts manual lists using an inner tube with a valve stem assembly part number TR-177A. The valve stem assembly TR-177A specifies an angled long metal valve stem on the tube. The Air Loc company still makes this tube - Air Loc Truck Tire Inner Tube with TR177A Long Metal Valve Stem 16" for 900-16 Bias Tires (LT truck tire inner tube, fits size 900-16, military use, for bias tire applications only) and is on Amazon; so it’s still available. A bias-ply inner tube with this valve stem will put the metal stem at the correct location for the tire assembly.

Lastly, get a correct new flap for the 900-16 rim (don’t re-use the old flap).

To recap, my suggestion is to make sure you get the correct tube-type STA product code LT286 9.00-16LT 8-ply rated bias-ply tire for your truck (and not the tubeless tires). Use a new 9.00-16 bias-ply rated tube with a TR-177A valve stem along with a new correct flap for the 9.00-16 rim.

Note – When I looked into buying the STA Superlug tire from different vendors I had a hard time identifying if the tire was an STA tube-type LT286 or an STA Tubeless LT285. The vendors didn’t seem to list the STA product code in their add. I called STA a few times to see if their Product Code crossed to a SKU code or Manufacturer’s Part Number but unfortunately I never got a call back).