Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M6Scout
PVT
PVT

CDN wiring harness

Post by M6Scout »

I just purchased a ‘53 CDN M37.
I hear that the CDN wiring harnesses have more options to add on electrical devices. Any truth to that?
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: CDN wiring harness

Post by NAM VET »

I don't know about Canadian wiring harnesses, but in my US truck, I have added a number of circuits to power this and that. But if the item has a substantial draw, like my 24V full flow oil filtration pump system, it is important to get power from both batteries. If a trivial draw, like an accessory gage and its tiny bulb, it is ok to run from one battery. I fuse every added circuit on the power side of the item, and am careful to route any wires to avoid chafing Plus I use heat shrink tubing and secure connections. I have a lot of OEM Douglas and Packard connection parts and the proper military crimper (eBay), and often also soldier my connectors. What makes it easier on my truck to work with my electrical system is a battery cut-off switch, just in front of the passenger side battery box. If I want to check something out, I don't have to life off the seat and the cover. Use the proper grade of wire, use quality wire. What are you thinking of adding to your truck? hal
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Well... from what I found on mine, the only real difference was that it did have signals wired in, two extra tail lights on either side of the pintle, and it also had a convoy lamp for the rear diff. That is about it. I also have a NOS front harness for the truck that doesn't really have anything different than US versions either.
I think that if you're looking to add more circuits to your truck, you may want to consider a new harness, depending on the condition of your old one. Mine was flaking to pieces all over the place, so it was pitched.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I bought my truck about 5 years ago, from someone who had owned and driven it for the prior 20 years. He had been a mechanic in his earlier army years and had acquired quite a selection of OEM parts, including bags of military wire and Douglas and Packard connectors. The original wire is a thick rubber covered wire, and when exposed to the elements, does deteriorate over time. I think heat and ozone hasten this. Our trucks have circuit breakers behind the dash, not fuses, and will click off then reset quickly if there are shorts.

My truck's prior owner had replaced the wiring harness not too long before I bought it, and I have added circuits using both his original wire and aftermarket wire. I have also sourced military grade wire, it is thin and light weight, and has a very very tough covering that makes stripping it for a connection a precise task. But it isn't going to chafe and wear and short. I cover my wires when I can with shrink tubing, and then fit several different types of sheaths over it. Esp in places where chafing is possible. hal
M6Scout
PVT
PVT

Post by M6Scout »

Great info folks, thank you!