Lower steering knuckle trouble

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Lower steering knuckle trouble

Post by RedUtilityTruck »

I am in the process of rebuilding my steering knuckles to curtail the trucks desire to follow the crown of the road at unwelcome times.

The lower steering knuckle machined bore that accepts the lower race seems way too large! The race can be put into position with thumb pressure.. with a micrometer, I am measuring about .005 larger than the race I am looking to install.

Is Red locktite bearing and sleeve retainer a solution? The bore in the lower knuckle does not show any visible signs (to me) of abuse, or scoring.. so maybe it has been like this since new?

What do you think are my options?
mike_m
PVT
PVT

Re: Lower steering knuckle trouble

Post by mike_m »

If it was mine, I would looked at finding another matched set upper and lower. I can't imagine them being too expensive. U can also try to peen or knurl the ID to get a tighter fit. My uncle did this on his old Ford 250 and as far as I know it worked, but who knows how well that would hold up.

Good luck

MikeM
RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Post by RedUtilityTruck »

Thanks Mike, I hate giving up on parts I already have, but you are right. I will install a different assembly and be done with it.
mike_m
PVT
PVT

Post by mike_m »

Maybe there's someone else that will chime in that has had this issue. Just seems any other fix than replacing parts wouldn't hold up for long and u would have to fix it again, but who knows.

Good luck

MikeM