M37 "Brutus"

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: M37 "Brutus"

Post by John Mc »

Cal_Gary wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:15 pm Ditto-I didn't take it as a joke nor malicious, Rob :) -just pointing out the timing of my post. I'd never joke about a fellow member's accident-happy that John is ok! :)
Gary
If you look at the 3rd picture in my Nov 15 post about the accident (page 3 of this thread, if you are using the forum default for page display), you can see you the bumper on that side took quite a wallop from the telephone pole. That's what put the twist in the frame. As far as I can tell, the twist is all in the portion in front of the engine, since the frame is well supported as you get further back.

The bumper was so mangled that I was about to throw it out, but Tim suggested seeing if the fabricator or a local auto repair shop could fix it. As it turned out, the guy who converted a standard bumper into a winch bumper for me when we installed the winch was able to be coax it in to shape . (When I asked how tough it was to fix, his comment was "let's just say the original conversion was a whole lot easier than the repair!")
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow, I didn't think your accident did that degree of damage. Still fixable though, thankfully!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Good news: the frame might not be twisted. As it turns out, there is a little cut-out on the upper edge. It's about 6" long and maybe 3/16" deep running along the inside upper edge. When my son was holding up the straight-edge, he was on that cut out part, giving a false indication of the twist. I can't blame him - I don't know how many times I've looked at this and not noticed the cutaway. Maybe we don't have as much work to do as I thought.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

It turns out the frame did have a slight twist and just a hair of buckling in the underside. They were able to straighten that out, and generally square things up a bit. They also pulled out the dent where the hood hinge bent up some of where it was bolted to the cowling. They made sure the two rails were at the proper spacing to align with the bolt holes in the winch.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Made progress last week in the recovery from the accident last fall. Tim Holloway has been priming and painting the various parts, and keeping me from getting in to trouble as I try to help out with shot blasting some of the smaller pieces.

On Tuesday, we did a test fit of the winch and front bumpers and installed a couple other pieces. Everything fit, so we removed the right front bumper for priming and painting. (It had been badly mangled in the accident, and "pursuaded" back into by a local fabrication shop.)

Later in the week, Tim addressed a a couple of minor oil leaks, reinstalled the bumper and a few other parts, and found and fixed an air leak which had been requiring partial choke to keep the engine running.

We're getting there! It won't be long before Brutus is back on the road.

1st Pieces reinstalled 4-12-22 sm.jpeg
1st Pieces reinstalled 4-12-22 sm.jpeg (163.74 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
More Parts Installed sm.jpeg
More Parts Installed sm.jpeg (167.46 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Spent the day at Distinctive Restoration helping Tim Holloway put parts back on Brutus. He's back together again!
I still need to paint some bolt heads, and Tim diagnosed a problem that causes the horn to blow continuously any time the power is turned on (need to replace a broken part), but Brutus has his new clothes on!

My theme song for the day: Darryl Hall & John Oates - Back Together Again (1976)
https://youtu.be/yNk6ErNl89s?t=30

Right fender installed. Tim contemplating the next move:
Right Fender w Tim sm.jpg
Right Fender w Tim sm.jpg (162.62 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Back Together Again1 sm.jpg
Back Together Again1 sm.jpg (156.92 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Back Together Again2 sm.jpg
Back Together Again2 sm.jpg (165.38 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Very nice job on the repairs. I feel your pain. :(

Mine got torn up twice, rolled both times. All I could think was "My poor truck."

First was young & stupid, going too fast in the dirt.

2nd was a front blowout on a banked turn.

Not for the faint of heart, but I came out OK.

PoW
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Excellent work John! Glad you're back intact!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Outstanding, like it never happened!
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)