wrench for valve lash adjustment

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

EDM43

wrench for valve lash adjustment

Post by EDM43 »

what size wrenches?
mines not bad...just sounds like a bunch of sewing machines,even when hot...i think a lash adjustment is long overdue. cant find info on the size of wrench required.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: wrench for valve lash adjustment

Post by Elwood »

You'll want two tappet wrenches, combination 7/16" and 1/2". Snap-On LTA1416 will do the job, although there are likely less expensive brands if you're not doing a lot of valve adjustments. :)
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I bought mine from the local MAC truck guy. Used Charles' cold setting specs. Seems to have worked fine. A bent-tip feeler gage made it easier. hal
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I use regular wrenches for that.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
EDM43

Post by EDM43 »

thanks...i think im going to grind down a couple of wrenches i have laying around that are a bit beat up.i can re purpose them and keep them in an m43 specific tool kit. snap on's would be wonderful,but they want an arms and legs for tools,and i need mine where they are.

i actually asked a kid a NAPA when i was in looking for some trim screws,and he looked at me with that deer in headlights look
"whats a tappet wrench" (that's a quote...:) :) :) ) the old guy at the next counter laughed and said "before your time kid"....lol
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

I've seen those little flatheads run their entire life with the factory adjustment, never checked or adjusted.

They don't move much, rebuilds or valve grinds are the main reason they get played with.
PoW
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

I've never seen that wrench...
I've always used a flat screwdriver and a normal wrench. But I've never done a valve lash adjustment on these engines. just overhead valve cams hehe