My m-37 off reading in Moab

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Re: My m-37 off reading in Moab

Post by Argie1978 »

Great videos, Cliff.....I'm so jelly right now..., I can't wait to have my girl on the trail. :mrgreen:
Seems you have been doing this for long, and the truck really delivers. I've always said the M37 has a really nice clearance for obstacles.
Love your truck and like the color, can you tell me more about it? In the vids looks really nice, but it's a bit darker than the olive drab #3. Could it be olive green #107?

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

It looks like 24087 OD.

PoW
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

PoW wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:11 pm It looks like 24087 OD.
Is that the one that's a sort of Brownish-green?
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Yes. From the mid 50's up to the mid-60's.

Lots of trucks serving in the Viet Nam conflict were done in 24087 throughout the war well into the 70's.

I like the way they look in that green, and have always used it for my G741 trucks. The later color green was just too 'green' for me.

PoW
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

My truck is Olive Drab 34087. Thanks for the compliments. As I said previously my m-37 is totally stock . That’s what I like about it. Whatever it does is what the military had it built to do. It doesn’t have lockers and you can’t disconnect the suspension for more travel. It was built for an amazing amount of travel out of the factory and it rarely spends a tire on the climbs. I have four other Chrysler product 4x4’s and this old Dodge m-37 outperforms them all off-road and it is a 1953. The others are relatively modern ranging from 2006 to 2019 model Dodges or Jeeps. The 5.83 gears and 9:00-16 NDT tires really help along with the 112 inch wheel base in my opinion. My truck was made to be road worthy and street legal by my nephews 16 year old son. He did an amazing job. He has also fully restored a 1951 m-38A1 flat fender military Jeep. He is a great kid. By the way my m-37 was originally built for the Air Force and was transferred to the US Army along the way. These trucks are what we used when I was in the Army in the mid 60’s.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

34087 is a flat paint. You truck doesn't look flat.

24087 is a semi-gloss in the same color family.

14087 is a gloss paint, usually used on aircraft. It is hideous on a truck.

PoW
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

I am no expert on military colors. I am only going by what I was told by the previous owner. I agree with POW. My truck is not painted with a flat paint it is a semi gloss and when I look at the Gillespie Coatings band paint chips the 24087 semi gloss olive drab is closer to the color of my truck than the 34087 color. As a matter of fact it is right on. By the way my truck was painted with a brush which is what the motor pool did when I was in the army. They did not use a spray gun. No one cared.They were only looking to cover the vehicle with color to protect the metal.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Yep, one reason there are some really nice, mostly rust-free trucks out there.

I just with they would've painted under the cowl area. :cry:

That bare metal area is a real rust magnet for all G741's, and by the time a rebuild was scheduled, it had already started to rust from condensation. No one ever looked under there...

Prince O' Weird, aka PoW