M-37 trans gears grind

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: M-37 trans gears grind

Post by Cal_Gary »

There is one other option: order a Powerwagon Clutch rod from Vintage Power Wagons. It has an adjustable clevis on one end. I use one on my M37-similar issues to yours, Cliff before I installed the PW rod.
Gary
Attachments
Power Wagon clutch rod.JPG
Power Wagon clutch rod.JPG (18.1 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Took the truck out this morning and once everything got warmed up it grinds when I try to put it in 1st or 2nd just as before as though I did not have the clutch pedal pushed in. I will take it in to the local Dodge dealer where I have taken it before and have them fix it. This is a unique Dodge dealer. I have 5 Dodge/Jeep vehicles and they service and repair them all including my M-37. The mechanic that works on my M-37 owns two classic military trucks from the 1960’s himself and is very familiar with everything. I am fortunate to have someone locally that knows how to fix my M-37 and works for a dealership that will let him work on it in their shop.
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for the suggestion about the power wagon clutch rod. I will order one before I take my truck in to the shop for repair. Hopefully that will fix it like it did yours. Cliff
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Cliff if you have 3 in of free play then the issue is not enough pedal actuation.
the second point of adjustment are the 3 fingers in the clutch release plate. Item "T". Those fingers have to be adjusted per TM before mounting trans to engine.
they will put the rest of the clutch linkage in a correct position thus placing the clutch pedal back in the center like NAMVETs pic

http://www.surplusjeep.com/M37/M37_%20Lead_%20Page.htm

worn clutch disk may change the pedal position too.
I think that at this point there is not much to do than splitting it.
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for your wisdom about the fingers on the clutch plate. I am taking the truck in to the shop to get this issue taken care of. I did get the Power Wagon clutch adjustment arm as previously suggested so I am taking that with me when I take the truck to the shop.
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

I know it has been a long time since I originally posted my issue with grinding gears when the running gear warmed up on my 53 m-37. However I have finally fixed the problem myself with the help of my brother-in-law. I couldn’t find any shop that was willing to do the work. I replaced the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, throwout bearing sleeve, pull back spring, pilot bushing, clutch pedal rod, clutch release fork lever, Clevis pins for everything, clutch fork, clutch fork bushings and fork flange assembly. That solved the problem. The truck now shifts great and the clutch engages smoothly instead of grabbing. Did I find the problem? Yes. All of those parts I replaced were severely worn. The clutch rod Clevis holes were oval shaped instead of round. The release lever hole had ovaled out so bad it was worn clear through the end although the severely worn Clevis pin was still holding to some degree. I was losing about 1/2 in. adjustment on the clutch just from these worn parts. When I saw the wear on these parts I thought I had found the problem so I replaced them first before dropping the transmission hoping to solve the problem but no cigar. The problem was still there. The clutch disc was severely worn. The clutch fork and throwout bearing sleeve were worn so I was losing about 1/8 in. on the adjustment from that. I could wiggle the clutch fork rod inside the fork flange assembly because all the bushings were worn out. I don’t believe the clutch had ever been replaced. I don’t think the transmission had ever been out of the truck. Oh well it is all new now and working the way it should. Glad that is done.
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like your truck got a lot of wear like mine. I am re-doing my whole truck and a couple of months ago took the clutch and flywheel out. The clutch lining was the worst I have ever seen. I don't know now the truck was still moving.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well done!
Mine were oval like yours, too.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

excellent news!!!
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

I replace all the pin & clevis clutch stuff with Heim joints. Fixed forever. :wink:

PoW