Defective Thermostat

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Defective Thermostat

Post by NAM VET »

Ever since I rebuilt my engine, with help, my engine temp would rise to 200 degrees on a hot SC day, but never go higher. With a small coolant leak at the base of the coolant neck, decided to just put in a 160 T stat from my parts box. So easy to remove the neck and T Stat, no need to remove and reseal the small outlet on top of the water pump, just easy to wiggle the neck off and clean the surfaces. I did find the new style T stat which has a brass "neck" to make it fit in the neck and fits into a shallow recess in the neck, was just slightly "proud" when test fit into the neck's rim. So put the brass fitting on a diamond stone, and took off a tiny bit, and then it fits perfectly in the recess. Probably the compressibility of the neck's gasket would have tolerated this fraction of a mm of the brass, but at least now all is well, no leaks. Proper sealant on the threads of course. Then I tested the opening of the old OEM tall, brass T Stat, which is stamped 180 degrees.

Sure enough, it popped open at right at 200 degrees! So was mis stamped when it was made. Later this spring I will put in a proper 180, after testing it, for more evaporation of volatile fuel and such that gets into my oil.

I suspect old timer, "shade tree" mechanics, would test a new T stat just for this reason. I had not pre-tested the OEM one when I installed it.

Hal, UpState SC
Cal_Gary

Re: Defective Thermostat

Post by Cal_Gary »

No Hal, I too, would have trusted what I ordered and just installed it, as you did. The Boss wouldn't appreciate me boiling up a t-stat on her stove.... :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

If I need to do some sort of maintenance or repair of a firearm or smaller truck part, I only do so when my wife is away. I thoroughly cleaned the pot, and put it back precisely where it was. Non the wiser. You learn certain things after 40-+ years of marriage. Hal
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

NAM VET wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:46 am If I need to do some sort of maintenance or repair of a firearm or smaller truck part, I only do so when my wife is away. I thoroughly cleaned the pot, and put it back precisely where it was. Non the wiser. You learn certain things after 40-+ years of marriage. Hal
:lol: :lol: :lol: