NDT Rot!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

NDT Rot!

Post by NAM VET »

I bought my truck about 5 or 6 years ago, out of NE, and had it shipped back to my home in UpState SC where I spent most of a year in a near full time "restoration", with important help from this forum and the vendors and Charles T.

I have replaced 3 of the 4 NDT's on my truck, and now with my decisions to adjust my drum brakes, which seem all good now, removed all four tires/rims from my truck, and cleaned and prepped the rims, and am about to finish up with painting the rims and the drums. But discovered one of my rear tires, a Goodyear, not sure how old, but the only original to me tire, has a lot of inside side wall cracking.

So, I am going to source another my fourth NDT, and replace it. But just a suggestion to check your tires even if the tread depth and outer sidewalls look satisfactory.

this probably from sitting too long without rolling. I don't know, but time for a new tire. Always something....

Will try to post a pic in a few minutes......

Hal
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: NDT Rot!

Post by NAM VET »

here....
Image[/img]
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

https://i.postimg.cc/PJ7k9K1g/IMG-2451.jpg

it this link doesn't work, I give up for now...... hal
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Ouch-that's a dangerous one for sure Hal!
Thanks for the reminder!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Yeah, that's some heavy cracking going on there. I have seen modern tires with small little cracks that don't go very deep in the the rubber. I am told they are only cosmetic. Is there a date on that tire anyplace? It could be 50 years old.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I think the "rubber" cover is there to provide protection to the carcass of the tire. But I suspect in time, if the carcass is exposed to the elements it degrades the former. The tire I replaced myself a month ago was dated 1968, and this Goodyear was on my truck when I bought it, but I can't fine a date or date code on this tire. So am going to order one last NDT, and then should be good for some years. No long trips until this is done.

De-rusted my rear drums and painted them with primer and then 24087. Even used a wire wheel to clean the lug nuts before painting them. Plan on fine tuning the brake adjustment this afternoon, then mounting my newly likewise cleaned and painted two rear rims, one with a new NDT. I think if all my tires had needed replacement at one time, I would have put on a "modern" and more durable truck tire.

At least my truck starts promptly and runs just fine. No leaks, either. I now only put enough gas in my truck for immediate use, as I don't want my gas to get old in my tank. After a stuck valve a few months ago, per Charles' T's suggestion I add some gas additive to my gas at each fill; I use a RedLine additive for valve cleaning and such.

Going to fiddle with a fine tune adjustment to my E brake band, and then I am done. Hopefully....... . Hal
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

thats just a bit of checking... once upon a time you could buy check fill. :P

ndts are not like car tires they have a casing and cap and it is the health of the nylon cords on the inside that matters most. now you would never want a dot inspector to see the checking..... and tread older than 10 years should probably not see extended hot hwy miles..... but with any tall sidewall tire temp and psi should be monitored.

prior to mounting old ndts I always rub the inside to feel for defects in the nylon cords and always use a plug patch to keep water from rotting the cords.

the ones to watch out for are the rayon. they will look good but with a bit of heat the cords let go rip through the casing and shred the tube, bang
.............................. use it ...............