Well the project has begun

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Well the project has begun

Post by k8icu »

Hi everyone. The madness of a frame up rebuild has begun. I've added a page to my business website to follow the progress of the truck. We've only just begun, but I will post as we go along to keep a record from start to finish of the project. Here is the website.

http://www.leathernaturally.com/m37project.htm

Enjoy.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

Very cool K8icu. I should know your first name from the other board but I do not. Can we get some g741 leather done?Just an Idea I've seen your work with the F.E. 's, Anyway I have a guy close to me that has an EMACULATE cab Absulutely no rust anywhere or dents. I believe it to be mid sixtys. Its already seperated and ready to load. Anyway he wants 400 bucks. :) Alton Il. area. He has many other parts as well. Cool find and I will enjoy watching your new project. Done by summer? :lol:
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Yes we can do leather work for g741. Just let me know what you want.

I am planning on redoing the hard top. It's an early one. The SN on the top says 143. It has the sliding window which is way cool too. So I'm good on the top. If anyone has a cab in better shape that they are willing to part with (read that give away) then let me know.

I would like to say redone by next summer, but I only have one or two days a week to work on it, I'm self employed which means my funds are very limited so we'll see how long it takes. It will be done when it's done... :)
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

I was joking about summer! I dont think you could fix or replace a "10" cab for 4.And that is what it is. I wish I had found this cab after my 20 hrs on mine alone. Still aint as good! Once again I'll be watching a cool progress in work.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Looks like it may have been an AF truck in its glory years. :) You definately have some work ahead of you on it, though.

As to the question regarding the evolution of the M37, I think the basic design would have remained much the same. I think the flat-6 would likely have been replaced by a slant-6, then perhaps by a Cummins diesel. On gasoline engines, waterproof electronic ignition would have replaced the points/condenser setup, the fuel pump would have been relocated to the tank, and the carburetor would have been replaced with throttle-body injection. The original transmission might have been replaced by an automatic or a 5-speed manual with overdrive. The transfer case could have been replaced with a single-lever unit like the civvy Dodges have now, with the capability of being shifted with the vehicle in motion. The brakes would definately have been upgraded, and power steering might have become "standard issue."

If it had evolved in that fashion, maybe it would still be in service! Wouldn't that be nice?
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Cab Top

Post by N1VSM »

k8icu wrote:I am planning on redoing the hard top. It's an early one. The SN on the top says 143. It has the sliding window which is way cool too. So I'm good on the top. If anyone has a cab in better shape that they are willing to part with (read that give away) then let me know.)
Hi Joe. Where did you find the S/N on the cab top?
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

N1VSM: There was a little tag on the hard top. It was a data plate stating who manufactured etc and was stamped 143. So I assume (you know what that means) that the number is the SN. Or at least the production number. It's a low number either way.

Lifer: Yeah it would be nice...then they would be wholesaling them out like the M35s are. Having been around MVs for 25 years and active in the state guard for 18 I think I can say with some accuracy that the vehicle would have been made into a diesel with and automatic transmission. An auto trans most deffently since the M890 and past have been autos and that is the mid 70's. Diesel most likely because the military went to the all diesel program in the late 80's and early 90s. The transfer case is a good question I hadnt' given much thought to and I believe the axles would have been changed also. Either with a higher gearing or a complete swap out.

Yeah the cab floor is rough Vrod...it will take some time to fix.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Looks like quite a project, K8! Keep us posted!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Welcome

Post by m-37Bruce »

John Bizal at Mid West Mil has the center panel of each floor. He might have more bits & pieces too. I worked leather for almost forty years, sandals, visors, never made a bustier though! :wink:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Joe,
Congrats on the start of your endeavor. It may seem like a monumental task now but half way through you will be thinking about your next Dodge project. I am. Where will I hide from the "honeydo's" when I don't have the excuse of the truck to work on? I better slow down:lol: Anyway, take your time, shop around for parts, don't shortcut, and ask questions here. Enjoy. I am just a hour away if you want to see my truck in it's disassembled state to familiarize yourself with these rigs.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

All this bantor about frame off scheduling reminds me of how much time it requires, and how retirement ( a dirty word for sure) suits this endeavor. The only thing I do like about the word RETIREMENT, is that it will afford me more time to play with my Guns, Dinky toys, and army trucks !
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Ours is coming up on its one year aniversary - been a long road with a lot of time invested. We also had a pretty good chunk of change put into it as well. Some shocks are bound to happen - like the cost of sandblasting (yikes), enamel paint ($215 / gal), etc.... but all worth the investment. The real value has been haunting these guys with new-bee questions!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Knattrass,
Yea, I got ripped off big time the first load of parts I had sandblasted. I am lucky I found a new, reasonable shop to deal with now.
What paint was $215 a gallon? :shock:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Rail man
PVT
PVT

Post by Rail man »

I have got a cab that you my be interested in, it has been acid dipped and then dipped in paint, it looks like this method get the rust off were sand blast my not and the paint also get back in everywhere. The reason I didn't use it is because the cowl is cheesy, and I had another cab in better shape. I live in Akron it may not be to far to drive for a look.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

215$'s A Gallon

Post by m-37Bruce »

HingsingM37 wrote:Knattrass,
Yea, I got ripped off big time the first load of parts I had sandblasted. I am lucky I found a new, reasonable shop to deal with now.
What paint was $215 a gallon? :shock:
Are we talking Dupont-Nemours or what? I thought the Gillespie Coatings was dear? :lol:

Doing the cab that way sounds like a plan......I am guilty of play'in w/my 37 since 2000. (my second career so to speak)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA