Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

signsup
PVT
PVT

Help ID Brothers markings

Post by signsup »

Bill 1.jpeg
Bill 1.jpeg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 561 times
A little offf the rails here, but looking for all the help I can get. Just picked up a 67 M715 Kaiser and want to mark it for my deceased Brothers military service. He was Army 68-70 in Korea at the DMZ. He was a M114 APC driver and since we are from Detroit, it was named the Motowner. Attached are the only pics I have from that time period of him. His APC appears to be marked 12AA48 which is a little out of my wheelhouse restoring WWII and Korea era military vehicles. I was expecting to see an Army, a Division then a star and then a vehicle number. The 12AA does not fit in with anything in Korea during that time frame. We will send away for his VA records but it will take months or years to hear back from what I have read.
So, in the meantime, any assistance with the meaning of 12AA or by looking at his uniform patches, any insight into his unit would be greatly appreciated.
signsup
PVT
PVT

Re: Help ID Brothers markings

Post by signsup »

Bill 2.jpeg
Bill 2.jpeg (134.43 KiB) Viewed 560 times
One at a time, I guess...
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

Bill3.jpeg
Bill3.jpeg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 560 times
One more . . .
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

Last one I got . . .

(Cal_Gary-rotated your last photo)
Attachments
Bill 4.jpeg
Bill 4.jpeg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi signsup, great photos, and a wonderful tribute to your brother. Our condolences for your loss.

We had the M724 Kaiser contact truck version in my Army unit at Fort Ord in 1977.

As far as that APC number, it could be an anti-aircraft unit designation, or perhaps the 12th Armored division (12A), (Company) A, (Vehicle) 48.

Perhaps Nam Vet or his brethren will weigh in since they were "in Country".
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

heck, I was an Advisor on a two man team deep in the Delta, where our transportation was a Boston Whaler. Had a jeep occasionally when I was further up in the Delta. I know nothing about US units. But likewise, condolences on the loss of your brother. Another Veteran lost. Wonderful way to honor his memory. NV
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

So far the consensus is that since these are armored vehicles, the "normal" unit markings do not apply and that the location of these numbers and the vehicle nickname lean towards them being vehicle registration type numbers and have nothing to do with a specific unit. Those numbers would be on the front and rear corners, not where these are. So, I'll keep researching and hope some family info or the VA provides something a little more useful. I used to wear his Class A for Halloween, even though in 1970 it was not a popular costume choice.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

You are correct in your post. The numbers on the side of the APC is the vehicle registration number. The unit markings would be on the front and back. Hopefully you can find a head on or rear shot of your brothers APC or another from his unit where you can get the markings. Once you have those the answer will hopefully be much easier.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!