First Start Oil Priming

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

greeno
SGT
SGT

First Start Oil Priming

Post by greeno »

Other than the expensive air driven primer is there a way to prime the engine oil for my first start? I’m getting dangerously close to pushing the button!
M37
YEAR: 1954
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: First Start Oil Priming

Post by NAM VET »

for my first start, which went well, I had of course used an engine assembly lube on the bearings and cam, and then installed a 1/4 inch threaded nipple on one of the accessible NPT threaded main gallery plugs, and then attached a a hand "push" fluid extractor, like for sucking or filling fluids to an appropriate plastic clear hose, and then pushed as much oil as I could into the main gallery. I was surprised it didn't really take much, maybe 6 ox or something like that. Then reinstalled the NPT plug.

I later added an Autometer mechanical oil pressure gage to my engine, mounted on my steering shaft. I will say that my oil gage shows near immediate oil pressure when starting it. It responds faster than the army gage.

But I believe that if you pre-greased the wear parts when you assembled your motor, you will be fine for the first start without any special pre-lubing of hour motor. Let me try to post a pic of my Autometer set up. Hal
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

here, I covered the Autometer copper line with tubing to the gage to keep it safe. I found the Autometer and OEM gage read about the same at higher pressures, but differ by about at least 5 psi at idle. Of course, the Autometer is right in front of me, and is a 270 sweep gage, so easier to read more precisely than the OEM one. These engines get oil pressure within a few revolutions. Remember to run your newly started motor at least at a fast idle to wear in your cam. I have watched many M37 engine start ups on Tube and even have mine on there.

Hal
greeno
SGT
SGT

Post by greeno »

Turns out Orielly had a loaner pressure pot. Was able to push 5 qts through the pressure gauge port. Had oil pressure start to build after 10 seconds of cranking. Getting closer!
M37
YEAR: 1954
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well done Greeno!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

There was a write-up of a homemade engine pre-luber using a 20lb. propane tank (empty, of course) on the dodgepowerwagon.com website, but I can't find it now. I saved it as a PDF, so if someone wants it, message me with your email address.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776