Guns & Gas Tanks

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

AdirondackM37

Guns & Gas Tanks

Post by AdirondackM37 »

Hi There,
New member with a new to me '54 M37. I bought a project that someone started and lost interest. It's about 70% done, so I'm hopeful I can take some time off from work and finish it over the next month. I'll start with the most important question: It has the vertical M1 gun holder on the passenger side of the dash, but the floor was replaced so I'm not sure of the exact location to dill and bolt the butt holder (which I found in a box of parts!)? Any guidance or a picture that you can offer?

Also, it's currently running off an auxiliary fuel tank. Any recommendations on a stock(ish) tank? It seems they all cost about $700... are there any alternatives to that?

Finally, I'm having so much fun with this truck that I'm thinking of getting a second one for my wife (who may kill me). The same guy I bought this truck from has a Canadian M37. It's missing the windshield assembly, carb and air cleaner, and the bed is pretty rough. Any insights on part availability for this truck before I do something stupid? Am I correct to think that the air cleaner tube is different and hard to find for the CDN trucks?

Thanks for your help,
Brett (Northern NY)
Cal_Gary

Re: Guns & Gas Tanks

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Brett and thanks for saving another M37!
Lots of members here to help you along-post your many questions or use the search feature on the upper-right.

Most M37 parts are readily available; the CDN versions not as much so.

Two primary vendors are Midwest Military, and Vintage Power Wagons.

It is alleged that the early S-10 pickup gas tank is fairly close; however there are enough parts trucks around that a fellow member here may be able to help you out with a used M37 tank. Be sure to have it inspected, boiled out and inner-coated to get rid of any crud that may have accumulated within.

Glad to have you with us!
Gary
Attachments
m37 lower gun rack mount.JPG
m37 lower gun rack mount.JPG (52.33 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

I think you will find the differences between Canadian and US versions of the M37 are mainly limited to engine and transmission differences. I believe the air cleaner and elbow is the same between US/Can versions. I have a spare elbow off a Canadian truck if you want measurements.

Any pictures for us?? :D
Cheers,

Rob
AdirondackM37

Post by AdirondackM37 »

Thanks Gary & Rob,
Very helpful- thanks so much! I'll post some pics (and I'm sure more questions!) shortly. A forum like this is invaluable for keeping these old trucks out of the scrap heap and on the trail.
/Brett
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Things are just a little different around the air cleaner for the Canadian M37. Tim Holloway just converted my truck from a 230 to a 251. He ended up adding a little collar to raise up the air cleaner: it was bearing down on the fender prior to installing that. That reminded me that I had read somewhere that the elbow was different on a 251 vs a 230.
Last edited by John Mc on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Welcome Brett,
The S-10 tank has been used and talked about for quite some time, I've never seen one mounted, so I can't vouch for it. Picking one up for your bride night be a good idea, but don't buy her a parts vehicle.
BTW, we like pictures.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Post by outpostm37 »

M37 gas tank.jpeg
M37 gas tank.jpeg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Cal_Gary wrote:Welcome Brett and thanks for saving another M37!
Lots of members here to help you along-post your many questions or use the search feature on the upper-right.

Most M37 parts are readily available; the CDN versions not as much so.

Two primary vendors are Midwest Military, and Vintage Power Wagons.

It is alleged that the early S-10 pickup gas tank is fairly close; however there are enough parts trucks around that a fellow member here may be able to help you out with a used M37 tank. Be sure to have it inspected, boiled out and inner-coated to get rid of any crud that may have accumulated within.

Glad to have you with us!
Gary
Here is a shot of a new S10 gas tank in the M37. The S10 is a 20 gallon tank, where the factory M37 was about 25 gallons. When I purchased my M37, it had a tiny 12 gallon tank in the truck. That was rusty and had to go. Did not stomach a $700 bill for a newish M37 tank. The S10 was $100, delivered.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

What a clean install, looks like it belongs there.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Lookin' great!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

There is a Ford Econoline van tank that fits even better and is 23 or 24 gallons. You will need to google it. It is also a sub $100 item.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

just me wrote:There is a Ford Econoline van tank that fits even better and is 23 or 24 gallons. You will need to google it. It is also a sub $100 item.
Interesting. I'm not finding an Econoline tank that is 23 or 24 gallons, however. (Though I'll admit searching for car parts is not something I'm good at.)
outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Post by outpostm37 »

This is what I found for the Ford Econoline gas tank.
Attachments
Image 12-22-21 at 7.11 AM.jpeg
Image 12-22-21 at 7.11 AM.jpeg (30.71 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

OK. I found the link based on the image posted by outpostM37.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Ford/E ... 70143.html

Is that the one known to fit?
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The dimensions and good pic here. E250 BEHIND the axle tank.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... +tank,6268
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

If you can get the physical measurements for that ford tank then it might work. You would have to modify your pick-up tube and your sending unit for it to work with the M37. If you have the original tank still then look into either refurbing it your self with something like POR-15s tank renu or a company like Gas Tank Renu to see about getting it fixed up. There are other pour in and slosh around and let dry products just I found the POR-15 one this afternoon so it's fresh in my mind...:)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!