Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Disconnect 4-wheel drive

Post by investig8 »

Good Afternoon Everyone,
I was reading a day or so ago that the 4-wheel drive can be disconnected to offer a little better gas mileage. If that's true, do I simply remove the front drive shaft or will it require more than that?
Thanks,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Disconnect 4-wheel drive

Post by John Mc »

Most people accomplish this by installing locking hubs on their front wheels. When unlocked nothing spins but the wheels.

Removing the drive shaft as you mentioned would still leave the front axle and differential spinning. I suspect not much MPG savings there.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

In most opinions, lockout hubs are the best way to go. If you're a purist and want to keep the OEM hubs, some guys grind out the hubcap inner splines. That negates your 4X4 capability but retains the stock look. I run the old Superwinch lockouts myself, so I still have 4WD in Winter, or off-road.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

After searching unsuccessfully for Warn hubs, I bought a set of Selectro manual hubs for a reasonable price. I’m not sure if my gas mileage increased, but the truck is much easier to drive at low speeds and around town
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

ZGjethro wrote:After searching unsuccessfully for Warn hubs, I bought a set of Selectro manual hubs for a reasonable price. I’m not sure if my gas mileage increased, but the truck is much easier to drive at low speeds and around town
I have Selectro hubs on mine. I track fuel usage - a habit developed from the days when the fuel gauge worked only sporadically. It's hard to know exactly the effect of leaving the hubs locked, since I only do it by accident, and then I'm not generally aware of how long they've been locked, but I'm guessing it's about a 1 MPG savings to have them unlocked.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine