Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

1962m37
PVT
PVT

Best practices for downshifting?

Post by 1962m37 »

Hi All,

As a new owner of a M37 and first time driver of a standard transmission I was hoping you could part some wisdom on best practices on shifting (down shifting in particular).

Through double clutching I was able to downshift from 4th to 3rd, but when I tried a few times from 3rd to 2nd I couldn't get into 2nd. I ended up coming to a stop then shifting into 2nd. What's the protocol here? Is downshifting best practice? Tricks to go from 3rd to 2nd?

Also, do you guys start from a stop in 1st or 2nd? I don't stall when I start, but it sounds a little choppy/jerky so assuming I need a little more throttle.

Thanks!
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Re: Best practices for downshifting?

Post by RCrombie »

Hi,

It takes practise to be able to downshift smoothly, especially into lower gears. Having the right lube in the transmission definitely helps, for one thing. (Gl4 or MTF) You may also find that you need to blip the throttle (a little) in order to get the engine rpm to match the gear you are selecting and the speed the truck is moving at.
Bear in mind this is coming from someone who hasn’t driven their truck in about 5 years. Lol
I’m sure that someone else will chime in with better advice
Enjoy the drive!
Rob
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

1962m37,
I've found that it took me a while to commit to reving the motor enough on the downshift. Once I got used to giving it a healthy boot things smoothed out well. In addition the 3-4 shift should not be an issue, it's synchronized.

Typically I use 2,3,4. I don't bother double clutching down into 2nd unless I have to drop a gear climbing. My truck has 4:89's and starting in 2nd isn't an issue. I only use first when offroad or in parades :).

Andy
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Ditto Andy's response^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I do need to get better downshifting into second, To many hills around here not to have that skill. I could do it on an ancient Saab 99 (my first car, purchased with 140,000 miles on it). In fact, near the end of my time with it, the hydraulic clutch was getting so bad I did almost all of my shifting without clutching at all (getting in to 1st gear was fun). I just don't know the M37 well enough yet to do that.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
1962m37
PVT
PVT

Post by 1962m37 »

ashyers wrote:1962m37,
I've found that it took me a while to commit to reving the motor enough on the downshift. Once I got used to giving it a healthy boot things smoothed out well. In addition the 3-4 shift should not be an issue, it's synchronized.

Typically I use 2,3,4. I don't bother double clutching down into 2nd unless I have to drop a gear climbing. My truck has 4:89's and starting in 2nd isn't an issue. I only use first when offroad or in parades :).

Andy
Thanks Andy (and all). What do you do if you're cruising in 3rd and have to nearly stop on flat ground? Stay in 3rd? I haven't tried that, but assumed it may stall.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

if I am barely moving when a light turns green I will usually come to a halt, let the transmission gears slow down, then down shift to second and proceed. I can blip downshifts, but these transmission gears are big and heavy, and and it takes a good blip to match the transmission with the diff's road speed. In four years and about 6+ thousand miles, I have never had someone behind me honk at me to get going. In practice, I try to anticipate what gear I am about to need, and slow or stop accordingly. NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The only real answer is to practice.
I don't use the clutch at all to shift. Only to get started from a stop.
44 years of driving old cars and big trucks teaches you to drive anything.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
1962m37
PVT
PVT

Post by 1962m37 »

I tried a few times to go from 3rd to 2nd. Shifted into neutral, reved it, tried to shift into 2nd, but just got teeth grind. Is there a certain speed or engine rev that would help me find a sweet spot? As of now, I have to come to a stop (or near spot) before I can get it in 2nd. Thanks!
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

1962m37 wrote:I tried a few times to go from 3rd to 2nd. Shifted into neutral, reved it, tried to shift into 2nd, but just got teeth grind. Is there a certain speed or engine rev that would help me find a sweet spot? As of now, I have to come to a stop (or near spot) before I can get it in 2nd. Thanks!
Did you double clutch during this process? Shift to neutral, rev up, let clutch out, clutch back in, shift into 2nd (while keeping the revs up). Basically, you need the engine revs to be going at the speed they would be if you were already in 2nd gear. (I know the theory, but that doesn't mean I'm good at it. I can upshift without the clutch in my M37. I can't downshift - yet. I'm just not familiar with the feel and sounds enough yet to judge the proper RPMs.
1962m37
PVT
PVT

Post by 1962m37 »

John Mc wrote:
1962m37 wrote:I tried a few times to go from 3rd to 2nd. Shifted into neutral, reved it, tried to shift into 2nd, but just got teeth grind. Is there a certain speed or engine rev that would help me find a sweet spot? As of now, I have to come to a stop (or near spot) before I can get it in 2nd. Thanks!
Did you double clutch during this process? Shift to neutral, rev up, let clutch out, clutch back in, shift into 2nd (while keeping the revs up). Basically, you need the engine revs to be going at the speed they would be if you were already in 2nd gear. (I know the theory, but that doesn't mean I'm good at it. I can upshift without the clutch in my M37. I can't downshift - yet. I'm just not familiar with the feel and sounds enough yet to judge the proper RPMs.

Thanks. I thought I was doing that in theory, but maybe it wasn't exactly right. These were my steps;

1) depress clutch
2) shift to neutral
3) let clutch out
4) rev
5) stop rev
6) depress clutch
7) try to shift to 2nd (fail)

Should I not stop rev-ing and keep my foot on the gas the whole time after I get into neutral?
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

As you downshift into 2nd, you need the revs to be up close to where the would be if you were already driving down the road in that gear at that speed

For upshifting from first into 2nd, you can generally leave your foot off the gas, and just let the engine slow naturally (in fact, if you do it right, there is no need to double clutch, though the double clutch does provide a bit more insurance for avoiding grinding.)