Carburator issue

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Carburator issue

Post by investig8 »

Yesterday was a great day, almost one year to the day I finally got her started. She runs fine except at idle she gets loaded up. I rebuilt the carburetor but the idle adjustment screw has no effect on her idle. Even run in all the way, she idles just the same as if it is out the recommended 1 to 1 1/2 turns.... any recommendations other than have the carburetor vatted and start again?
As always, thanks for any help...
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Carburator issue

Post by ashyers »

Dennis,
If you have the throttle plated cranked open you'll be out of the range of the idle ports and they won't pull any fuel. This leads to no response to changes in the idle screw.

It's also possible the passages are clogged. How nasty was the carb when you started? Did you blow out all the passages with air and check 'em?

Andy
Last edited by ashyers on Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I replaced my idle needle and spring in my carb, from Mike's Carburators, you cans find him on line, has all sort of the things for our B&B carbs. NV
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Thanks gentlemen for your responses. The carburetor was pretty ugly and in fact I had to pry the accellerator pump out of the body. Cleaned the carb well and blew it all out but didn't vat it so I'm thinking that's where the problem lies... probably has some blockage.
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Just an update for those who offered suggestions.... Started with double checking the float setting and as some suggested, it was too high, causing the loading up of the carburetor at low RPM. Reset it the best I could without a gauge and low and behold, she idles like a sewing machine. Don't know what I would do without the knowledge available from this site and its members!
Thanks again!!
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38