problem and solution front windshield install

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

problem and solution front windshield install

Post by NAM VET »

I simply could never have restored my '52 truck without all the help given to me on this forum. I know that those who have installed Viper or Ferrari motors, and made their trucks into half-tracks kinda wonder why I would post such a simple fix for this or that, but perhaps some future driver can more quickly repair something with the experience of someone else.

So.... The prior owner had replaced the glass in the passenger windshield, but the driver's was scratched and delaminating, so I asked some local glass places if they would replace just my glass, since I bought the seals, but couldn't find someone willing to do it. So months ago, bought a full windshield, I think Korean, and a top "hinge", the new one had all the parts riveted and with an upper with that part of the hinge installed. But it turned out that it must be metric. It was a chore to pull out the old frame from the hinge on the main frame, but finally pulled it all out. I was not able to unscrew the upper hinge, so left it on the main frame. You can clean the channel with a rifle rod and wire brush, and then pushed the new one in. Greased the hinge well in case it has to come out someday. .

I had to pull off and then put the three sided rubber seal on correctly to work. Easy. Then went to reinstall my Trico wiper motor, and found the two holes in the new windshield's upper frame were about a MM too close, so I couldn't attach the wiper with new fine thread SS ( I think 10-32) screws. I didn't want to drill out one of the two bushings in the frame where the Trico bolts go, as they are there to avoid over compressing the fame, possibly cracking the glass, or allowing water to enter inside the new frame. Finally I chucked a small fine round file in my drill, and slightly opened the bushings up, and then was able to attach my Trico. It would have been a lot easier to do all this with the new windshield on my work bench, than already on my truck. The metric hinge SS bolts tend to loosen, so put some Blue Loctite on their threads. I may add a nut there later if necessary.

Anyway, what should have been a 5 min job to install my Trico, turned out to be an hour in the rain. I was determined.

Stay safe, and all the best.... HC
Cal_Gary

Re: problem and solution front windshield install

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great info Hal!
I had to drill out my windshield hinge mounts years ago AND WOULD NEVER DO THAT JOB AGAIN! It's just easier to replace via the pivoting hinge, separating it like you did and sliding the new assembly in.
Well done!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500