Had to winch out twice this afternoon

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Had to winch out twice this afternoon

Post by NAM VET »

Our near 6 year old grandson is staying with us for a few days, for some summer fun. He and I have done some off-roading in my truck once before, so we decided in the 95 degree heat and humidity of SC to make a quick down and back to a low area at the back of our development, where down by a creek in the woods there is a cleared path where a underground sewer has been dug in. Pretty narrow path, thru brush and small trees and tall dense weeds and vines and such. So put the hubs to lock, pulled into 4WD, and we drove thru some muck and brush, and got to the T down by the creek, with muck pools and deeper places, and decided we could go no further with the big logs across our path. So with great difficulty was able to make a U turn, but things got muddy fast. When I was finally turned around, I was near axle deep on all four corners, and my NdT's were packed with mud and basically slicks. I told Ollie we were in trouble, and after putting sticks and brush and such under the wheels, and going no where' Ollie said "lets use the winch."

My winch clutch is frozen engaged, so will power in and out, but not freewheel. I unwound about 5 feet of cable, so with the added chain, had Ollie take off his shoes, (the mud kept sucking mine off) and slipping and sliding he pulled out enough to wrap around a tree, so I could pull maybe 20 feet forward, but could go no further. So again, Ollie walked the chain ("Gramps this is really heavy!") about 50 feet to another tree, as I powered out the cable. He was able to keep the cable from reverse winding on the drum. I did not let him handle the chain until he had plenty to to keep away from the winch. So, after having Ollie go up the path to be clear of a snapped cable, winched the truck far enough to clear the muck, knowing that it would take a tractor to get down to us if we failed to extricate our selves with the rain about to come. But got past the muck areas between us and the road, and made it home, just covered in mud.

Now he and I have to wash out the cab and get the mud out from everything. I gave him my phone to video the second pull, and hearing him say "tell me what to do", and "I am not fond of this mud", and "I don't like this stuckness", and "I'm stuck can you get me out of this mud?" gave a hilarious 2 minute video.

At one place I was a couple of feet from sliding into some really deep mud, which would have put my driver's side up to the frame at least.

We had an epic adventure, perhaps one we could have avoided with common sense on my part, and locking diffs and Super Swamper tires. I have never actually used my or any winch, but I was sure to keep Ollie away from the winch. As for my truck, It ran fine, and Ollie and I forged yet another memory for each of us.

Now, to get my winch fully repaired. All the best..... HC
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Had to winch out twice this afternoon

Post by NAM VET »

well, here is the Utube video of this. HC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTEEUGG ... e=youtu.be
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great adventure Hal! Unfortunately I can't see the video-it prompts me to log in but I don't have a You Tube account.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I'm sure your grandson will be telling all his buddies about his adventure, for years! :D
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Cal_Gary wrote:Great adventure Hal! Unfortunately I can't see the video-it prompts me to log in but I don't have a You Tube account.
Gary
Even when logged in, I can't see it: "Video unavailable. This video is private."
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

OK, I think it is not "private" now. hc
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

That got it. Helpful little guy!
Last edited by John Mc on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That was awesome! Nothing like baptizing the youngster in the ways of vehicle recovery-well done!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Great video Hal, definitely making great memories for your grandson.

Bert