installed transfer case temp gage

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

installed transfer case temp gage

Post by NAM VET »

It wasn't hard. I occasionally get down and take an infrared thermal temp of my drivetrain, and on a long hot day, my transfer case can get hot, up to even 190 degrees! So...

Got out a large NPT brass plug, one with a square end, and drilled it for the 3/8 NPT fitting of an 12 volt Autometer sweep transmission temp gage. Tapped it, and using copper anti seize replaced the fill plug, which happens to be in a nice protected spot, with good clearance to the frame. The temp sender does not protrude into the case at all, so just gets splashed on. Then, ran a fused hot lead from a pos battery terminal, giving me 12 not 24 V (need to be cautious about drawing too many amps from just half of a 24V system), as the gage and lights are very low draw. Then grouped the gage wires hot and ground, and then all this to a 3 way switch, with an LED when switched on. All this goes off with my main battery disconnect, but nice to have a light on the switch as a reminder. Of course, the lit gages are a reminder too.

I could have put the gage a cut out on the dash, or below the dash, but did not want to put any more holes in my dash or interfere with my knees. In fact,I was able to use a prior hole on my dash for the switch. Soldered most of the connections, with lots of heat shrink on everything.

It works fine. I wish I could say it was only a couple of hours, but due to trying to use too small a fuse, and eventually going out to buy another 3 way switch with labels to hot/ground/load, was I able to get it all to work. I don''t have a cooler for my transfer case, but at least I can see if it is getting hot, and perhaps slow down or something.

Here is the gage, next to my oil pressure gage. The toggle just below the pull throttle is for my 24V full flow oil filter system I installed a month ago. HC in hot UpState SC

[url=https://postimg.cc/qtzcQj0n][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Cal_Gary

Re: installed transfer case temp gage

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great info for anyone else considering this job, Nam Vet-thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500