Thinking about a 6x6 conversion

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

U404S
PFC
PFC

Thinking about a 6x6 conversion

Post by U404S »

I have an M56 without the original box; so cab, chassis and winch. I also have access to a totally derelict and modified WC62 6x6 that has been sitting outside for the past 70 years used on and off to haul produce out of the fields. I was wondering if anyone has ever thought about grafting the back frame, suspension and axle assembly to the back of an M37 variant. I have seen people go the other way (graft M37 body to WC 62 chassis), but that would be too much work, plus the WC is in such bad shape.

I’m going out Sunday to measure and study the WC62 to see what the chances are of this idea working. I was thinking I could use the M56 transfer case and just run the second driveshaft from the parking breke shaft. Maybe a different master cylinder is necessary to work another set of brakes. I also think I read somewhere the ring and pinion ratio is the same as the M37.

Maybe an M56 is too long for this and an M37 would be better.

Curious if anyone has any feedback on this idea. I really would rather work on this project than paint the house or fix other things. In terms of the welding and frame grafting, I’ve never tried that, but have watched the Youtube videos. Perhaps I would need a professional to do the frame part.

I don’t have an application except to have something different and save a piece of the WC soon to be scrapped.

Thanks, Jerry
Cal_Gary

Re: Thinking about a 6x6 conversion

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry for the delay Jerry, just back from vacation.
M376x6 on this forum had one-he hasn't logged in since 2016 but I think his was on a WC63 chassis. Perhaps M37 Bruce, Carter, or Charles Talbert might have additional info on it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Thinking about a 6x6 conversion

Post by k8icu »

I'm just guessing here, but I would think that you should be able to take the back half of the WC frame and weld it right onto the M56 frame. The frames I think are just about the same width etc. The only trick to welding a frame together is making sure it is square (measure three times weld once) and to reinforce the section where the cut and weld is. If you are a decent welder then you should have no problem. Just remember to take and post lots of pics if you do this... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!