Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

keyslammer
PVT
PVT

Gun Ring Cover

Post by keyslammer »

All,
I will be installing a comm shelter in the bed of my M37. This is a small shelter that actually fits inside the canvas (if you want to do that). I will be modifying the shelter to install a gun ring with a fifty cal mounted. Here is my challenge: this will put a 30” hole in the shelter. This becomes a problem with inclement weather. I’d like to find something that I can modify/put to use as a removable cover (think trash can lid). My problem is that it needs to be at least 36” in diameter, and have close to 6” high walls to clear the gun mount posts and other gun ring fixtures.

I have considered making my own plexiglass dome, but that will be a LOT of work. I can order one, but that would be prohibitively expensive. So, I am turning to all you creative types out there that have some decent McGyver ideas.

Keyslammer

just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Gun Ring Cover

Post by just me »

Sheet metal, hammers, shrinking dollies and an extra pair of hands.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Bottom of a 55 gallon drum? Maybe that's not big enough diameter.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
keyslammer
PVT
PVT

Post by keyslammer »

The 55 gal drum is creative, but you’re right...the diameter is too small. You’ve got the right idea though. If I can find one of those giant commercial refuse containers, that might have the right size lid. This doesn’t have to be round either...I’ve been considering some square solutions, including just building something out of plywood and fiberglassing it to make it water tight. If I do that, I might give it a “round window” with plexiglass to let in some additional light. I’ve never done any fiberglass work, but hey...how hard could it be?