Rest in Peace B-17G 44-83575 "909"

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Rest in Peace B-17G 44-83575 "909"

Post by HingsingM37 »

We in the vintage aviation community are deeply saddened by yesterdays loss of the Collings Foundation's B-17G "909" in a tragic accident in Windsor Locks. CT. I have heard various reports of loss of life from 5 to seven. Reports are ongoing. I had the honor of working on and flying in this aircraft back in 1999 and 2001 when they visited the MAPS Air Museum in Ohio. Words cannot express the feelings when you turn on the news and see a aircraft you have loved a burning hulk knowing folks have died as well.

My prayers and thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones and the Collings Foundation who lost crew. Reap the wild wind in Heaven 909.

We all love to see old machinery operate, but there are inherent risks as we all know. It makes me wonder if static display only of these treasures in the future is the way to go? :(
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Re: Rest in Peace B-17G 44-83575 "909"

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks for your post, David!
I too am saddened by the lives lost as well as the B17. I wondered which one it was as there is always a B17 over the Salt Lake valley every summer. Some legislators are calling for the grounding of all vintage aircraft-a gross overreaction from my perspective. Although the cause is not known, that's why I chose not to be an aircraft mechanic-fearing that any mechanical error on my part could lead to loss of life-a burden I did not wish to bear (you can't park a plane on a cloud when it breaks down).
Regards,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Re: Rest in Peace B-17G 44-83575 "909"

Post by HingsingM37 »

Hey Gary,

Yes it is an over reaction by some to see these birds grounded. What next then, our M37's or model T's if there is a crash? I was on the fence after this tragedy since I was close to the Collings group.

As a fellow on another forum summed it up best:

" Vintage aircraft are actually required to meet modern safety regulations, often requiring updating and modification to be declared airworthy. This includes regular inspections of all critical structure and systems, as well as regular re-builds of the engines.
This wasn’t a failure of FAA regulation or a manufacturer’s quality issue, it was a failure of one engine. Engine failures occur in ALL types of aircraft (including those that carry hundreds of people), so there’s no point in changing the laws because of one tragic plane crash that was probably caused, at least in part, by an unpredictable issue. Just because war birds are old doesn’t mean that it’s any less airworthy than any other aircraft."
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".