M101 springs in a M37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DunGoterDid

M101 springs in a M37

Post by DunGoterDid »

So I have this M37 with some tired front springs that are holding up a small block Chevy. I also have a M101a1 trailer that has some nice looking springs with a bit more arc that what's left in the M37. They are the same width and length. The M37 has 8 leaves while the M101a1 has 7. What's the deal here boys, should I / can I swap?
Cal_Gary

Re: M101 springs in a M37

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry for the delayed response, Dun...
I'd consider the swap if I'm adding a leaf from the existing M37 springs to the M101 spring pack since we are all budget-minded. However, I'll also add that the ride in my M37 was considerably enhanced once I replaced all 4 leaf springs with new ones that I got from Midwest Military several years ago. Spring arch is so important when making changes which is why I went with new ones so I had the appropriate spring travel in front and back.

I'm also adding the numbers from my old post to F18Hornet:
Re: 1953 M37

Postby Cal_Gary » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 am
Nice to hear from you F18!
Replace them in pairs if possible. Front springs should have 5.25 arch, measured across the anchor pin holes down to the top of the spring pack. 8.25 for rear springs. Use these as your guides on used springs-skip any that aren't close to these numbers.
Gary

Just my 2 cents, Dun...,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Re: M101 springs in a M37

Post by Drew M. »

Anything is possible. I used Jeep CJ7 front springs to re-do my worn original spring packs. Remember to add anti-squeek pads between leafs.