ANOTHER SLAMMIN' RECOVERY...

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

ANOTHER SLAMMIN' RECOVERY...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello All,
Got another Winter Storm mess overnight last night, uneventful until I tried to get home. What started as freezing rain changed to snow overnight with howling winds-deadly combination as we all know. Anyway, I'm 2/3 up the 10% grades heading home in the dark (thanks to DST). When I get up to my final turn I see at least 3 vehicles with flashers on, other trucks stopped behind them going up over my view and out of sight, with a foot of snow atop frozen ice, with little room to maneuver. Taking stock of the situation I shifted to Low 4X4 and engaged the lockers then tried to swing left around the one SUV that was parallel with my direction. No-go, I slid at a 45 degree angle and straddled a frozen snow berm that hung me up much like my last encounter. Damn! I swear I'm driving the Titanic! At least I was within walking distance to home so I told the SUV guy I'd go get my other truck, come pull him out, and if he'd then be so kind to help me get my Rubicon unstuck-deal.

So I trudge home, get the garage open and fire up the M37, chains still attached and in 4WD, then slipped and slid my way to the end of the street. The guy couldn't believe I came back with a MILITARY vehicle, and shared that he'd served a year in Iraq back in the day, and had just moved here from Phoenix (so, totally unprepared for Utah snow). We determined the SUV wouldn't make it back home (further up the hill) so again I crawl under the SUV-no loop, tow point, nada just like last time. So I chained around his RR lower control arm, backed him up then pulled him into my street where guys with blowers were already at work on their driveways. They cleared a little square on a side cutout so the guy could park there and retrieve his vehicle later. So, back to the Rubicon. Since it's towed (TOAD for you RV folks :) ) behind our RV I took a rear shackle bracket and the military tow strap I bought last summer and strapped it up instead of using the chain because I knew from last time I'd need to cling and jerk to free it. Man that sucker was stuck! It took a lot of back and forth tugging to get it unstuck, with other 4WDs squeezing by us going downhill, and somewhere in that process I lost my LR tire chain (I knew I needed to reattach the cable locks but didn't so that's on me). The chain is still buried somewhere on the hill-I hope (if the plow ever gets there) that he'll scoop it to the side and I'll find it when the snow melts. Finally freed and put the Rubicon in my driveway, I took the guy home in the M37, dodging stuck XFinity utility trucks, a freakin' Prius and 3 other cars with 4 inches ground clearance trying to drive in a foot of snow! So I dropped the guy off at his home where his cul-de-sac is just as buried as mine-fortunately he cleared his driveway before he left for work so I pulled in, backed around then headed home, not stopping for anyone else as I was totally exhausted after working a Grave shift then doing another pair of recoveries in the dark, still snowing and windy, soaking wet to where my jeans were starting to freeze stiff.

I took the hottest shower I could then a good shot of Nyquil to ward off any suggestion of a Cold returning and slept soundly into the afternoon. What a day!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: ANOTHER SLAMMIN' RECOVERY...

Post by rickf »

You didn't run across Miss Priss again did you? If so I hope you waved as you drove by!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Excellent job Gary, Glad to hear that you got another chance to play in the snow..............I've had it with snow and ice this year. I only hope that none of your neighbors find the tire chain while snow blowing. :shock:

I am little shocked that the PRIUS couldn't handle the foot of snow. :twisted:

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks guys!
No, didn't see Miss Priss stuck anywhere (too bad); I'm hoping the plow guy (who finally got around to our street today) just shoved it to the side with the rest of the 4 to 5 foot drifts that will start melting off tomorrow since we're to be in the 60's early next week. The overnighters over the 2 days dumped 20 inches on us so I was moving snow again today, to include the snow berm the lousy plow driver left at the end of our driveway. It was also interesting coming home this morning in the M37 with it's single tire chain still on-good thing because I was sure that by this morning the street would have been plowed. Not really surprised that it was not, I made the turn into the street at speed, putting my NDTs in the faint ruts and maintaining high RPMs in 2nd gear while the ruts tossed me back and forth the 500 feet to my driveway. The snow with drifts approached 3 feet in spots-enough to get up into the engine compartment but not strong enough to overcome my forward momentum. I was also glad not to meet anyone trying to come out on their way to work as there was no way I'd be able to stop nor crowd past them.

I also figured out why the Rubicon isn't holding traction like it used to: the last set of tires was a bit less all-terrain than the OEM BF Goodrich's. While they are quieter and ride better they just don't cut it in the snow we get so I may upgrade the tires and rims this summer to gain a bit more traction and lift.

So, time for some rest and PMCS tomorrow while I await the chance to find my buried treasure once the snow melts....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I just retired a few years ago from being one of those "Lousy plow drivers" :roll: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: When you are running a road plow there is really nothing you can do since it is a one way plow and on top of that you have a job to do and miles of road to get done but when I was doing municipal roads and I saw a car with handicap tags I would always back up and make a swipe or two to open up the drive. Most drivers would do the same unless they had a total a**hole of a boss. Most people don't realize that we have many miles of road to plow and we are at it for 24-48 hour straight sometimes. I have had people throw shovels, trash cans and rocks at my truck. One guy went to jail for throwing a rock that broke my windshield. We are not bad people, we care, we just have a tough job to do and especially when you get slammed like you have the job is even tougher. Plows are not the most indestructible vehicles in the world, nor are they unstoppable. I have been stuck many times and I have been stopped by huge piles of snow that people have plowed out of their driveways into the middle of the road. You know where that big pile of snow is going? right down the road to your neighbors driveway!
As far as your chain, just hope it is laying on top of a layer of snow because if it is right on the road surface it could get wrapped up in the blade bottom and be dragged along the road until the Blade is raised. I snagged many big truck chains on the interstates like that. One trailed back and went under the front tire and dang near ripped the steering wheel out of my hand and broke off the end of the cutting edge of the plow. As a driver you have no idea it is there so when that happens it really gets your attention. And once the chains are dragged under the plow they are pretty much destroyed.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow Rick, you seem to have as extensive a work history as Nam Vet!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I am proud to say I have never been unemployed except for one 6 month stint. I always found something to make money at and I usually was working two jobs at any given time. I was a racer and I loved boats so I had two very expensive hobbies I had to pay for. As a race car driver I did eventually start getting paid to drive which basically paid my way to the rack for that night and I got to race someone elses car. I also had very good upbringing that instilled upon me a good work ethic. Work is always available even in the worst of times, you just need to find it and sometimes you have to humble yourself either in pay or grade. I always treated my employers, fellow workers and employees well and that followed me through my career in my referrals. I started working 6-8 hour days trapping muskrat when I was 12 and going to school and did that up till I could get working papers and then worked at a body shop after school till I graduated when I was drafted. I was also working on farms during the summer milking cows and baling hay. This was all before I even got out of school. This continued after I got out of the service. I started paying into Social Security in 1967. Since you would not have mentioned this unless you thought it was an embellishment or flat out lie I will stop mentioning my past. I have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. I put all that up here, some for amusement and some of it for knowledge from someone who has been there and done that.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I'm another been there, done that. Except I only raced cars in the 70's and moved to roadracing motorcycles (poorly) until 2005. When i didn't have a wage earning job, i worked out of my house/shop doing upholstery, mechanical and machine work.
I figure I'll work to noon on the day of my funeral and take a half day off for it.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I wasn't intending to offend, Rick, be malicious, or ask for employment verification; sorry the message was received that way.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

My son, he is 39, and I have sometimes talked, and wondered, where did our "work ethic" come from. I started mowing yards for 50 cents each when I was in the 4th grade, and like others on this forum, worked at every job I could find growing up. That commitment really became a driving force for me when I left the active army to pursue my career in medicine. I think I am a lot like my father, who lost his own dad when he was only 6 years old, in 1923. At some point in my life I began to see my daily effort and endeavor as part of my ultimate goals, something necessary to achieve this or that.

Here in upstate SC, I have been driving my truck often, yesterday an hour drive thru the woods and back roads to a state shooting range, up and down hills and thru forests at a steady 40 mph cruise. Today I want to start replacing the emergency brake hoop. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. After Charles T's work on my truck last summer, my truck starts instantly with little or no choke, and really smooths out at about 40 mph.

Oh, recently bought an Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifloglio, the one with the 510 horsepower Ferrari derived motor. What a fun car.

Now, to head out and get under my truck. Spring I think is finally here in UpState SC.

All the best, Guys.

hal