M-43 heater

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

TAK824
PVT
PVT

M-43 heater

Post by TAK824 »

For those of you who may have an M-43 ambulance, has anyone of you been brave enough to fire up the patient compartment gas fired heater? Mine looks like it's never been used, but I'm real leery of having a gasoline "bomb" right behind my seat. I'm tempted to take it out, put it on the driveway, and test it there......OUTSIDE of the ambulance. But mainly just wondering if anyone has tried theirs, and if you are even using it!

TK
Terry K.
1953 USAF M-43
Hillsboro OR
Vietnam Vet, USN
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Re: M-43 heater

Post by 808morgan »

I don't have one, I have an M42 technically, but I would be really nervous about using that! :shock:
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Why is everyone so nervous? They use gas fired heaters in airplanes. And my corvair. Restore the wiring, check the limit switches and go.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I believe the same company made the one used in corvairs. best heater I ever had. they have fail safe systems built into them. it will shut down if things are not running right. engineers werent dummies back then. if wiring is still sound fire it up. i bet they are still being used up in super cold climates.
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Post by mdainsd »

The M43 I drove for years had rh patient heater and the front compartment gas fired heater, NEVER an issue with either of them.

You have heat in about 1 minute. And so nice and toasty.