New 1952 M43 Ambulance

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

U404S
PFC
PFC

New 1952 M43 Ambulance

Post by U404S »

Just brought home a new-to-me 1952 M43 ambulance.

I spied it in a yard off a highway in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina a couple weeks ago and made a deal with the owner to buy it. Then yesterday, my son and I drove up from Jacksonville, Florida to bring it home, a 740 mile round trip. It was a long day....

We flat-towed it home with the front hubs unlocked and rear driveshaft removed. Our tow vehicle was an older Ford F250 4X4 with a lot of weight in the bed, mostly tools, but also a fairly heavy gas powered welder-generator rig bolted in the center. So, with all of that stuff, the tow vehicle weighed around 7,000 pounds. The M43 probably weighed about the same. The M43 towed well under 50 mph, but over that speed I didn't feel comfortable. I used an old adjustable tow bar designed to lock to C-channel bumpers by tightening chain clamps. I also made kind of a redundant failsafe tow-bar by running chains through two steel pipes that ran from the M43 bumper D-ring things and then to the safety chain connection points on the hitch.

The truck was restored, I am speculating, by someone maybe ten years ago and came with stretchers and some other things in the bed I have not yet identified. It's missing the operating room/surgical lamp so I am on the hunt for a replacement. I think it might be missing the top bunk/stretcher hardware and frames, but I'm not sure. Lots of really nice waxed canvas seat and cushion covers and all of the goodies including an old blood pressure cuff found in the storage boxes. The heater is still there as well and looks original. The frame rails and everything else are super clean. This truck was probably kept indoors for a long time. I can tell the outside of the truck was orange underneath the OD green. There is a door mounted spare carrier inside the truck so I need to clean that up and reinstall it. Of course it has the red crosses on the roof, sides and back, although somewhat faded.

The owner I bought the truck from was a real interesting individual who really enjoyed the truck; in fact, he used it to teach foreign exchange students how to drive. He professionally maintained it as well. I think he sold it as he is looking at up-grading to tracked MV's.

In various places inside the truck I found gasoline receipts from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina going back a long time. I also found a 1994 invoice from A B Linn in the truck for a bunch of gaskets and maintenance parts. Those parts were mailed to an address in Oregon. And, as mentioned, the truck was orange at one time. If anyone knows any history on this truck, I hope you will pm me.

As to the truck, it is such a smooth ride; in fact, it drives like an old Cadillac. Very smooth. I kind of wonder if perhaps it has the 4.89 gears as it cruises pretty nice at 45 mph. I have another M37 variant that seems like it is turning more rpm's at that speed (when it runs). I wonder if there is an easy way to tell what gear ratio it has?

Mechanically, the truck is all original except for the electric fuel pump, lock out hubs and the Humvee style turn signal kit. The wiring looks newer than 1952 vintage. Must be a modern period rewire kit from one of the M37 vendors because it uses all of the old style connectors. Tires are all matching and non directional tread. They are in pretty good shape. I need to find the numbers to see how old they are.

While I see the big RV's flat towing cars, including pick up trucks, with some frequency, I don't think I'm going to do that again, at least not on the interstate system, and especially not for long distances at night. While there were no mishaps, I felt like this wasn't very safe. When the maximum speed limit on the interstates was 55 mph, this kind of thing seemed safer.

If anyone happens to have a period M43/M725 ceiling mount surgical light they are not using, please let me know. Also, once I figure out how to shrink my images, I'll upload some pictures.
U404S
PFC
PFC

Re: New 1952 M43 Ambulance

Post by U404S »

Forgot to mention it has a working really big and loud siren mounted under the hood.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Congratulations on the Ambulance. It sounds like a really nice truck that you'll have sorted out in short order.

You may check to see if it's in the registry as far as its history goes, maybe an owner registered it here?

As far as the photos I just open them in Office and compress them there prior to uploading, it's annoying, but not too complicated. I want to see what the siren looks like :) !

Andy
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks for saving another one! That's sounds like a precarious trip, flat-towing. Modern vehicles tow much easier than the 4 ton M37. My Class A tows a Jeep Rubicon with no trouble; however, my RV hitch won't handle the M37's weight so I may go to a "Super-C" RV at some point so I can trailer my M.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
U404S
PFC
PFC

Post by U404S »

Hi Gary and Andy,
I will get some photos of the siren and some others too and get them uploaded. As I recall the siren has a data plate on it. I kind of wonder if the siren is an add- on by a prior owner. The reason I wonder that is because I had an M725 about 25 years ago that had a siren; that siren was controlled by a foot switch kind of like a smaller foot operated starter switch. This M43 siren is controlled with a toggle switch which doesn't seem right.

I paged though the registry and didn't see it yet.

I had to look up what a "Super-C" is. That one should do the trick. I have a Curt Xtra Class 5 hitch on my F250. It is rated for 16,000 pounds. According to the manual, the F250 is rated for 12,000. To me, having some kind of brakes would have helped more than anything.

Otherwise, prior to doing this thing, I studied some of the posts on flat towing on this website and learned a lot. I didn't use the bungee cord on the steering-wheel, however. I practiced towing in a parking lot and noticed the towed M43's wheels turned and went back to center quickly and gracefully. Sometimes I flat-tow a 1982 CJ5 and those front wheels don't turn much at all; they just drag through turns (steering wheel unlocked of course). That Jeep has 31" tires and a four cylinder motor so maybe there isn't enough weight to turn the tires?

My primary tow bar was also canted downward front the M37 bumper to the hitch ball. I read this was supposed to be bad. However, I compared the leverage between the canted tow bar and that of turning the hitch upside down to get more height and moving the ball to the top. It seemed to me there would be less loading with the bar canted slightly down. That's how it came out anyway so that is how I towed it. I didn't have any emergency stops to make so my theories were not tested.

I'll follow up more tomorrow. Jerry
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

The problem with a downward cant on the towbar is an emergency stop. If the cant is severe enough then the towed vehicle will push the tow bar up in the air raising the front tires of the towed vehicle off the ground and launching it high into the back of the towing vehicle. I used to drive tow trucks and I have seen this in several accidents I had to tow. The tow bar has to be on a pretty good angle though since when you slam on the brakes the rear of the towing vehicle will raise up. The other time it can happen is if the towed vehicle is rear ended or if the towing vehicle hits something and in those cases it is unlikely that the towbar is going to survive to keep the towed vehicle off of you anyway. Plus, in those circumstances that is the least of your worries. Depending on what year your Ford is and if it has rear antilock or not if you had had to slam on the brakes you probably would have jacknifed with all of the extra weight behind you with no brakes. Rear antilock on the mid to late 80's Fords was a disaster! I disconnected mine. But any pickup will come around when being pushed by heavier unbraked weight. Just something to keep in mind.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Two years ago, when I needed to get my running truck from Nebraska to SC, 1100 miles, I thought about renting a big enough truck and a heavy duty trailer to haul it myself, but it was going to cost a lot more than the $1000 it cost me to have a car hauling company do it, and far safer for me. I don't know about how to safely tow or haul or push another vehicle to want to ever try to do it.

I am out in rural South East Nebraska now, and my brother in law wanted to bring a '49 Pontiac back to his shop, so we took his Pick Up out to a farm, and he managed to get it started (it is really good shape, last ran two years ago), but parked under some trees. After warming it up, he drove several miles on the gravel roads, until it just quit. So in the rain he hooked a long tow strap to it, and I pulled it back about 7 or so miles to his shop. Eventually we got to the highway, a mostly flat two lane rural road, and I pulled him at about 15 miles an hour back. I wanted to keep the tow strap tight, and when the occasional grain truck came up behind us, they just went around us. Lots of slow farm vehicles out on the roads, so other vehicles just go on by.

All the best guys,

NV
U404S
PFC
PFC

Post by U404S »

Thank you RickF and NV,

As to the explanations relative to the canted tow bar, there is no substitute for experience. Thank you for the insights from your background. Glad to have learned a few things.

And as for my F250, it is a 2001. It was a maintenance truck at Dallas Love Field (the airport) until I picked it up at auction. It had low mileage, a big Warn winch, a few dents and a tailgate lift; and the price was right. I don't know much about it except that it is far heavier duty than the E350 1 Ton van we have. I never really understand these ratings. In fact, the 3/4 Ton rated M43 ambulance appears to be much more durable and heavy duty that the 5/4 Ton M725 ambulance I had years ago. Maybe it isn't?

Otherwise, I was able to upload some photos. I'll upload one of the siren earlier asked for that I just finishing taking in the dark. I'll work on taking some more photos in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks again, Jerry
Attachments
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG (129.68 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG (135.65 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG (152.39 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Last edited by U404S on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
U404S
PFC
PFC

Post by U404S »

Here are some pictures of the siren taken in the dark. I tried to get the data plate.
Attachments
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG (105.44 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG (63.84 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow what a nice truck! Thanks for posting photos. Some folks use the chain axle adapters to lower the tow bar connection. As you have observed, the high connection point where the lift shackles are makes the tow bar liable to ride up into the tow rig on an emergency stop.

Keep us posted on your progress-we're here to help! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

That is a great looking truck. I hope that all goes well in this recovery.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
TAK824
PVT
PVT

Post by TAK824 »

Hi U404S. Welcome to the M-43 ownership group. I just finished up my 1953 M-43. Only took two years to complete!!! Body was solid, running gear was solid, but the engine was shot, electrical had to have work, etc. It is an original Air Force ambulance, with a local history. It was stationed at the Condon (Oregon) Air Force station it's whole life. Dry area, so no rust, just really faded paint. This summer was it's debut at local MVPA/MVCCO events. You are right, it drives and rides pretty nice. I have hit 45 once, but it seems to like it right around 40 MPH. Doesn't get up and go real fast, but it goes pretty good, once you get it up to speed. What do you expect from an engine that has around 100 HP, and a rig that weighs about 7500 pounds.........empty. Power to weight ratio...........nah! Put'r in compound low though, and it'll crawl up a wall. I bought a flatbed trailer (10,000# capacity and 18 feet long) and haul it on that, IF I'm going long distances. Rides real good on the trailer. If you are looking for a surgical light, I've seen them out there. I think that Vintage Power wagon may have them, but they aren't cheap. Yours looks really good. PM me if you want more info, or pictures.

TK
Terry K.
1953 USAF M-43
Hillsboro OR
Vietnam Vet, USN
U404S
PFC
PFC

Post by U404S »

Sounds like excellent progress and results; especially good you have the trailer and are getting some use out of the M43. I really enjoy driving mine. I find myself making up excuses to jump in and drive somewhere.

Midwest Military has surgical lights so I bought one of those. I still needs some odds and ends to support the upper bunks.

I'm kind of focused on finding a PTO winch kit right now. I am afraid of the cost of freight so I'm keeping my eye open for a derilect truck with a winch near me. I missed one recently that ended up going to the recycler before I could make my best offer.

For extra safety, I have been thinking about "Back Up" cameras. Amazon has a lot of choices. There are so many choices.

As for the heater, it should work. Just check all of the fuel connectors and make sure there are not rats' nests in there. I have not tried my yet, but I do use a 50 year old Eberspacher heater in my Unimog. Works the same way. Just add gas.

I've tracked my truck back to 1995 when it was owned by the Medford, Oregon Search and Rescue. No history found before that.

Cheers,

Jerry