ethenol gas 15%

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

ethenol gas 15%

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi Guys, Has anyone wondered what is being said about the new 15% ethenol gas that will be coming down the pipe? Should I be using any additives or something else for my truck(M37)??? also still need exhaust manifold...
vinnytruck
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: ethenol gas 15%

Post by rickf »

Be sure you are using an upgraded fuel pump with newer ethanol rated rubber parts, same with all of the rubber fuel lines and carb parts. Also put a filter in the fuel line before the fuel pump since ethanol is the best solvent there is so any crap in the tank will be cleaned out by that and will move forward. Do NOT use any kind of gas line antifreeze since they are actually alcohol themselves so you would be adding more alcohol to the mix. And I am sure you have already heard all there is to hear about phase separation and letting gas sit in the tank. The alcohol WILL separate out from the gas once it absorbs moisture from the air. Alcohol is very hygroscopic and readily absorbs moisture from the air. This is not so much of a big deal on modern cars with closed fuel systems. With older cars there are vents open to the atmosphere and moisture moves in and out as temperature changes.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

THANK YOU RICKF for the inlightenment, this is for all to read...VT
vinnytruck
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Apparently you can make your own ethanol free gas by taking ethanol gasoline and adding water. Give it a good shake so the water binds with the ethanol and the water, being heavier than gasoline, will sink to the bottom. You then drain off the water and are left with pure gasoline.

Has anyone tried this? I was thinking of doing it for my mule since the gas tank is small enough I could probably get away with doing 5ga at a time.
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Find ethanol free gas here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Also check around your town for yellow handled ethenol free gass pumps. In my small town of Durango Co. we have 4 stations offering entenol free gas. It is as expensive as premium gas, but most of ours is a high octane premium grade ethenol free fuel, around 90 octane. Check though, because we also have 86 octane ethenol free for the same price.
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Not in the communist state of NJ, The gasoline laws are just like the gun laws here! You WILL use ethanol gas and you WILL NOT be allowed to have guns!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Become a smuggler :!: Everything is illegal in MA :!: :!:
I bring it in from VT
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

On the old flat head motors do you still need to put harden valve seats in to protect the valves from getting messed up from the low octane ethanol gas?
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Post by mdainsd »

M37s came with hardened valve seats. They were designed to run on fuel way worse than E85...
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

my understanding, having recently had new intake seats installed, is that the exhaust are "hardened" but the intakes were not. I had new intake seats installed, and stellite valves put in too. I also think that alcohol gas is in a sense, corrosive, to the innards of the carbs. I run non-ethanol gas in all my "power products" and my truck. It is pretty available here in SC. Some places even have "high-test" gas.

NV