Valve removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

drowe44
PVT
PVT

Valve removal

Post by drowe44 »

I have a burned #6 exhaust valve I want to replace. I've already pulled the hood and fender and the head. Getting at the #6 exhaust seems pretty difficult. Does anyone have a good procedure to use? I do have the special valve spring compressing tool.

Thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Valve removal

Post by just me »

Just don't drop the keepers into the crankcase! The only way to do it is to do it.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

By "special valve spring compressing tool", do you mean one of these? The military referred to it as a "LIFTER, valve spring, part no. 41-L-1410", and similar variations were made by Sunnen, Clark-Feather, Snap-On Blue Point, Zimm, Wilde, etc. I find these much easier to use on our flatheads than the C-clamp style.

You might also find one of these useful when re-installing the valve stem locks. The military tool number was 41-R-2391-54 ("INSTALLER, valve lock"), and the civilian equivalents included Miller C-486, KD 605, KD 609, or Snap-On Blue Point CF-7.

or

All of these tools are fairly common on places like eBay, and for reasonable cost.

Are you going to measure the valve guide ID for wear, and check the valve-to-seat contact when the new valve is installed?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I have the bottom pictured lock installer. I found it useless on my rebuild. Was far easier to do it with a gob of grease and a finger. I stuffed rags in the tappet box to prevent losing one. I have the same spring compressor shown and it works well. I also have a plier type that for me, worked even better. A bit more finger clearance.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I second the plan of stuffing rags in the oil return holes. I like the big c clamp style compressor. gives more room
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Worked for me to have Charles Talbert's crew do my valve repair.

NV