Carburator Rebuild

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

JGPierce
PVT
PVT

Carburator Rebuild

Post by JGPierce »

I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor and it looks great...inside and out. A few questions from a newbie I hope you all can answer:

1. When I took the carb apart it looked like the "Pump Plunger Rod and Piston" had oil around it. Is this true and if so what type of oil should I use? Should any other parts be oiled?

2. The throttle plate moves nicely with good spring back when moved by hand. When I move the throttle plate using the rod from the governor it will move freely, but only VERY slowly springs back. Is this how the governor is supposed to work?

3. When I installed all the new parts that needed to be screwed in I snugged them down pretty tightly. Is there a certain torque or feel that these need to be screwed in?

Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Question 1: The accelerator pump should be assembled dry. If there was oil in there when you took it apart, it shouldn't have been there.

Question 2: If the throttle plate springs back nicely when opened by hand, that's great. (No binding and a strong spring are always good.) I'll have to let someone else tell you if the governor part of the question is normal or not.

Question 3: The screws only need to be tight enough to make sure the gaskets seal well and don't work loose. Just be careful that you don't overdo it and strip the threads in the aluminum casting.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"