Beechwood Canvas Works new set of M37 seat covers

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Beechwood Canvas Works new set of M37 seat covers

Post by 808morgan »

tumblr_p3g1mvFNau1r0j27bo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_p3g1mvFNau1r0j27bo1_1280.jpg (191.4 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
I have a brand new set of seat covers, OD green, smelly. My wife won't go near them so if I have any hopes of her getting in this truck, I have to have some non military canvas made.... So she washed them in a big tub and scrubbed them, I told her it would do nothing, it in fact did nothing. I also have the map pocket that hangs from under the seat in front of the bench. So they are new and I have to get rid of them, she put them out in storage away from us, from the smell haha. So I would rather have one of you guys take them, I just want some reasonable offers and you can do me a favor! I don't think shipping would be very much, I'm not really concerned with that, I just want someone who wants them to enjoy them and for my wife to never see them again.

I think PM-ing me gives me an email response, so that might be better in case I get busy and don't check this. I am in the North Bay Area.

Thanks
Last edited by 808morgan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Beechwood Canvas Works new set of M37 seat covers

Post by just me »

Send them to me. I'll duplicate them in Sunbrella Heritage Leaf for you. They won't stink, won't fade and will last years outside. The color is just a bit lighter than OD7.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

After making tops and seat covers for hmvs for many, many years, I can say that sunbrella makes a reasonable bikini type top, but is no where near as abrasion resistant as mil-spec canvas. Yes it is uv resistant and won’t shrink the way cotton canvas does. There is a nice Naugahyde that has a grain to make it look appropriate for hmvs, and comes in colors that match too (od and grey and black, etc). Also, consider leather! Yes it is not so weather resistant and makes an inadequate “stepping surface”, but hey, to many people the smell of od canvas is part of the “charm”, if your not one of those people, no sweat, sit on a material that suits your needs. Life is too short, ask your sweetie what she’d prefer and make a reasonable compromise (or buy her a Mercedes convertible).
Cheers!
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Marmalute wrote:After making tops and seat covers for hmvs for many, many years, I can say that sunbrella makes a reasonable bikini type top, but is no where near as abrasion resistant as mil-spec canvas. Yes it is uv resistant and won’t shrink the way cotton canvas does. There is a nice Naugahyde that has a grain to make it look appropriate for hmvs, and comes in colors that match too (od and grey and black, etc). Also, consider leather! Yes it is not so weather resistant and makes an inadequate “stepping surface”, but hey, to many people the smell of od canvas is part of the “charm”, if your not one of those people, no sweat, sit on a material that suits your needs. Life is too short, ask your sweetie what she’d prefer and make a reasonable compromise (or buy her a Mercedes convertible).
Cheers!

Well I don't mind it so much, I'm a Marine, but other people have to come in the vehicle so it's not just for me. She doesn't even know how to drive, she took public transit in Japan for years, we might teach her but not in the M37 haha.
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

just me wrote:Send them to me. I'll duplicate them in Sunbrella Heritage Leaf for you. They won't stink, won't fade and will last years outside. The color is just a bit lighter than OD7.
How much to duplicate them? You want to keep the set? Let me know if you are serious and what you might want to do.

Thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I'd swap your canvac for duplicated Sunbrella. (I am collecting original patterns for my own projects)
I made my seats, chain covers, headlight covers and spare tire cover in Sunbrella several years ago. Holding up fine in an outdoor stored Arizona daily driver.
After receiving yours, I would copy them in the Heritage Leaf and send them to you. Although it won't take more than a few days of actual work to do, it will take me some time right now to get to it. I found my 91 year old father unconscious and unresponsive 2 weeks ago and after hospital have been commuting back and forth to where he lives for care. We are in process of moving him locally right now and that is eating all my free time for the next few weeks.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

just me wrote:I'd swap your canvac for duplicated Sunbrella. (I am collecting original patterns for my own projects)
I made my seats, chain covers, headlight covers and spare tire cover in Sunbrella several years ago. Holding up fine in an outdoor stored Arizona daily driver.
After receiving yours, I would copy them in the Heritage Leaf and send them to you. Although it won't take more than a few days of actual work to do, it will take me some time right now to get to it. I found my 91 year old father unconscious and unresponsive 2 weeks ago and after hospital have been commuting back and forth to where he lives for care. We are in process of moving him locally right now and that is eating all my free time for the next few weeks.
I'm not in a hurry, I was just looking for a solution. We are going to paint the truck soon so we have a few weeks of various things to do before I worry about seats or anything. You can PM me if you want and I can ship you the covers. Let me know what you want to do, no rush if you are busy, I understand.

Morgan
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Did a skunk get into them or something?

NV
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Canvas smell is a love it or hate it thing. Most military guys love it and most wives hate it. I do know one military guy that will have flashbacks if he gets near it though. Not good!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

rickf wrote:Canvas smell is a love it or hate it thing. Most military guys love it and most wives hate it. I do know one military guy that will have flashbacks if he gets near it though. Not good!
I was just thinking the top is fairly new and probably smells a bit anyway. But I hope at least not sitting on them will cut it down a bit. I don't care myself but it is annoying that it rubs off on yer clothes.
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I've not been in the military but I still love the smell of canvas. Reminds me of camping, camp fires & the mountains. Wife grew up at a summer camp, so she's fine with it as well. I had no idea that there were people that hated the smell.

-jim lee
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nothing like a military show/swap meet to fill the air with the canvas scent....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

We rode home in a rental car from the Kansas MVPA convention with all new canvas for the M in the back. My wife didn't care for the smell to begin with, but after many hours on the road home she said that it wasn't that bad any more.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Oh yeah, you had the steering box and the PRC77 that trip too-I remember it like it was yesterday!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Wonder what the rental car company thought of the smell? :twisted: :roll:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1