Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Carter D....

Post by Nickathome »

Carter;

I tried the trick you mentioned a while back when the truck vapor locked again yesterday. I turned off the fuel valve and the truck started right up. Thanks for the tip.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Carter D....

Post by Carter »

Nickathome wrote:Carter;

I tried the trick you mentioned a while back when the truck vapor locked again yesterday. I turned off the fuel valve and the truck started right up. Thanks for the tip.
While not my favorite way to correct the problem of starting a hot, vapor locked engine, shutting off the fuel to the carb. will at least help some with restarts although jumping out of the cab and racing around to turn the gas back on is a pain unless you can convince your co-driver to stand by to open the valve after restart. In my case I usually was alone or with my wife Sandy, and she was not going to stick her hand next to the spinning fan blades, no way, so sprint I did and shutting off the fuel always seemed to help and saved a lot of engine cranking and battery drain trying to restart. Glad it worked for you Nick and thanks for letting me know. Carter

Edit: Hey Nick do you ever drive your M to or near Quarryville? Sandy mentioned several months ago she saw an M on her way to shop at BBs, I have tought her to observe and report :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Fuel valve.

Post by Nickathome »

Carter;

Yeah was leary about putting my hand near the fan blades as well, but I was careful. I didn't feel the need to jump out and hurry as I felt there was enough fuel to keep it running until I turned the fuel back on. I am going to use this as a measure to get the engine going until I can fabricate some kind of shroud for the fuel pump. Something tells me there was a shroud of some kind available for these industrial engines because there are curious flat cast areas on the block, one in front of and one behind the fuel pump, and each flat has a threaded hole as though something belonged there, and was since removed. I am going to search the net for the Industrial engine, maybe I can come up with a diagram of something I can make myself. I may buy that book that VPW sells. Anyway, thanks again for the tip.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

That was likely Dave Kaufman . . .

Post by Drew M. »

He and his M37 are over by The Buck - just outside Quarryville, PA.

Carter - out of curiousity do you still happen to have that old WC rear housing?

-Andy
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Vapor lock: a couple of helpful ideas

Post by Drew M. »

Assuming the heat shield is insufficient.
#1 install hand primer - it holds fuel and will get you started and running for a short time.
#2 electric pump - pump (located near tank) increases line pressure and returns fuel vapor to liquid. - Also lets you re-route engine bay line away from heat too. [saftey switch for pump is a good idea].

Me - I have both. I went from worrying about restarting my truck after sitting on a hot day to being able to restart w/in 1 sec of cranking.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Electric fuel pump...

Post by Nickathome »

Drew;

I have an electric pump already in the line. It doesn't always get the truck going as you mentioned. It did work one time, but the next time it vapor locked, I turned on the electric pump didn't start up, so I let the engine cool donw then tried again. My truck has a civy fuel pump on it, so no hand pump attached. I want to try the shield to see if that does any good. If it doesn't work, I may have to just switch back to the elctric pump, or just drive it when its cold out :D

BTw Carter- My wife shops at BB's sometimes, and my inlaws live outside of Quarryville in New Providence, small world. My son keeps telling me he has been seeing an "army truck near grandmom's house", but isn't sure what it is. I'll have to look for it next time we are up that way.

There's a guy in Oxfrod that has a red and white one, and another guy has an OD hardtop model somewhere near me but I don't recall exactly where. I ran into him at the Oxford tractor Supply one time.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Nick. . .

Post by Drew M. »

As I recall, you are still running the mechanical f/p as well as the electric pump for some reason. Take out the mechanical pump - it does nothing for you. Why? #1 holds heat to put in fuel. #2 you will flood engine w/ fuel if f/p diaphram fails. #3 causes fuel line to be closer to engine and get hotter= vapor lock.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: That was likely Dave Kaufman . . .

Post by Carter »

Drew M. wrote:He and his M37 are over by The Buck - just outside Quarryville, PA.

Carter - out of curiousity do you still happen to have that old WC rear housing?

-Andy
Hey Andy how are you?
The rear housing is still here, want it? I was thinking about what to do with it yesterday, I don't want to sell it for scrap but I would like it gone. Yours for the hauling and I'll help load. Carter
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.