military spark plugs all the same?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

military spark plugs all the same?

Post by NAM VET »

As part of my recent rebuild, I pulled the military spark plugs, soaked the tips in combustion chamber cleaner, gently wired brushed them, and set the gaps. My truck starts and runs fine. But having a compulsion from my Army years, I want to have a spare set, and want to acquire six new military plugs. I see them advertised here and there, and on Ebay, but don't know if military plugs for our trucks (or other variations) came in different heat ranges. I know the military likes to have commonality of spares, so am asking this forum if there is a specific plug for our trucks.

NAM VET
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: military spark plugs all the same?

Post by ez8 »

Here's a whole mess of information on the spark plugs that can be used in the M37.

http://garbee.net/~cabell/SparkPlugData.htm

Autolite and Champion cross references with heat ranges are included.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I was searching various sites, and found one where the heat range of spark plugs specific to M37's was discussed (and now this morning I can't recall where it was mentioned) and the Autolight 2243 was listed as a mid-heat-range plug best for our trucks. Much information about plugs in general is available in ez8's post just above. John B at Midwest has them on his site.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Last year, when Champion and Autolite quit making the waterproof plugs, the price went through the roof. I was able to find a case of them at the old price at an old Marine supply. They are in the cold end of the heat range but you take what you can get. After all, $4.50 each is a lot better than the $75 each or more some feculators are charging.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Sometimes you just luck into something, being in the right place at the right time. Was talking with one of my shooting buddies, who was lamenting the high costs now of WWII German KAR 98 rifles. And I mentioned that about two years ago, stopped by a local gunshop, and there on his shelf was a perfect '44 BYF KAR98, laminated late war stock, with serial number matching bayonet by a rarely found German bayonet company. Brought it home for $300. Not a "Russian Capture" gun, but had the "duffle-cut" of a veteran "bring back", which i was able to repair perfectly. Shoots a bit high like all KAR98's did. I reload 8mm for it.

I am building up my supply of perhaps "soon-to-be" hard to find essential spares for my newly restored truck. Just got the pedastal and gun mount/pintal and ammo can holder for my truck, my gun should be here soon, having the sideplate engraved now. BMG parts had only a couple of original canvas gun covers left, so got one of those. It was kinda fun unwrapping it from its Korean War vintage wrapper.

Need go get some plugs ordered ASAP.

NV
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

You can still find the 2243 and 2245 Autolite plugs on ye olde electronic bay. Like justme said prices can be atrocious, but currently the market has settled to around $15.00 a plug. I found 6 2245's for $97.00 shipped and pounced on it. Like you, my survival paranoia kicked in and once I got the truck running with the 2245's I bought another set. In another thread, I think it was justme that pointed me toward saturnsurplus on the aforementioned auction site that had the 2245's, but if you're looking for a colder plug, the 2243's are there, too.

Better to pay $97.00 now than to not be able to find them later and convert to *shudder* 12V...
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Here you go guys:

https://oreillyauto.com/detail/champion ... ampion+588

I have not had any issues getting plugs, but the price has crept up. Last year I picked 'em up for $8/plug. These are cooler than stock plugs and work well in the engine in our truck which has a bit more compression than stock, I'd go cooler if I could.

Andy
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

ashyers wrote:Here you go guys:

I have not had any issues getting plugs, but the price has crept up. Last year I picked 'em up for $8/plug. These are cooler than stock plugs and work well in the engine in our truck which has a bit more compression than stock, I'd go cooler if I could.

Andy
This is interesting because last month when I was looking for plugs I found the Champion 517 on O'reilly and they were listed as "call store to order" only. I went to the store and they couldn't them. Here, it appears, they are available for ship to home. They must have found a stash of them at some warehouse?
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

i've never had a problem getting autolite 2243 or 2245 at Napa, though they usually have to order them for me and call me when they are available for pickup. they're around $10 each
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

I checked on NAPA's website and they list them as being able to be ordered, but when I called my local they responded they can no longer get them.

Part numbers are ASP 2243 and ASP 2245. Neither are available.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I have accounts at several of the big chain parts houses. They all still show them, none of them have any or can get them.
There was a reason I went and hoarded a case. The price was just climbing daily.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

my Nome truck has a really nice set of plug wires; Military on the distributor end, with braided sleeving for about 3", and then a nice ring of heat shrink adapting them over to unshielded off-the-shelf cable, and civilian boots on the ends. i run civilian power wagon plugs in that truck and i can still get them for a couple bucks each. only down sides are non-authentic look (but not bad, just not authentic) and it probably won't handle being driven in water deeper than the top of the engine block as well.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

You would be surprised, I have driven many of my civilian Jeeps and old Broncos under water with all of the stock ignition parts. Stock civilian plug wires work just fine underwater as long as you have silicone dielectric grease on the ends.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

ashyers wrote:Here you go guys:

Andy
What about an Autolite 2242 plug? Slightly colder than the 2243, which is the Autolite cross to the Champion 588.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776