Frame color

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Frame color

Post by k8icu »

If we had a M37 that had come right off the assembly line and the was sealed into a plastic bag to preserve it till now, what color would the frame and running gear be? Satin Black, Gloss Black, 24087 Semigloss green?
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It would have been "chassis black." That's a semi-semi-gloss black. It's shinier than flat black, but duller than semi-gloss black.

The engine, transmission, and transfer case would have been a "semi-semi-gloss" silver.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Thank you very much.... That is what I needed to know.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Lifer wrote:It would have been "chassis black." That's a semi-semi-gloss black. It's shinier than flat black, but duller than semi-gloss black.

The engine, transmission, and transfer case would have been a "semi-semi-gloss" silver.
I think the engine/drive train might have been almost a powder blue, I have seen both, silver & blue? :?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

According to the historian at Chrysler Corp, they were silver. I think the light blue was a Plymouth/Desoto car engine color. (Baqck in the early '60s, I had a '52 Chrysler sedan and a '51 Desoto convertible with light blue engines, anyway.)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Can somone tell me what was silver and what color the other parts ( starter oil filter ect...) were painted. What paint best matches the semi semi gloss.
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Yup! he starter, generator, distributor, oil filter housing, and air cleaner housing were all semi-gloss black. The oil filler tube was also black, but it had a red cap.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

So then it is safe to say that frames and drive train that were painted OD were done at depot rebuilds and in the field by a GI with a spray gun.

I find it interesting that the army acepted the vehilce with a silver motor and trans. I would have thought that they would have required it to be OD.
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

How about the exhaust manifold? Was it left bare or painted with heat paint?
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Originally, the exhaust manifolds were "probably" left bare, but I can't swear to it. During depot-level overhauls, however, the entire engine got repainted according to the military specs of the day. For Army vehicles, everything ended up OD. For USAF vehicles (up to 1965, anyway), all power train components got painted light gray.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Anybody have any recommondations for a silver paint to use. Should I go flat or semi-gloss?
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Try your nearest boat dealer. I bought some a few years ago for an Evinrude outboard I was overhauling. It was a light silvery gray color, semi gloss if I recall correctly.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Ya Got Me Lifer!

Post by m-37Bruce »

Silver it is/was. But were all of the lube points, as well as the oil fill pipe were painted red, zerks do I guess? :?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA