Generator Rebuild

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Generator Rebuild

Post by ashyers »

I'd like to rebuild the spare 28v 25a Prestolite generator for the truck and possibly do the one in the truck too. The info I've found so far is:

https://archive.org/details/TM9-1825B

Unfortunately this appears to be a bit too old for the units I have. The tag of the unit in the truck is below:
This is the tag for the unit in the truck now. Unfortunately the P/N has been clobbered. The other unit appears identical, but the tag has been removed. It does have a P/N on it under where the tag was riveted on.
This is the tag for the unit in the truck now. Unfortunately the P/N has been clobbered. The other unit appears identical, but the tag has been removed. It does have a P/N on it under where the tag was riveted on.
Genny.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Genny2.jpg
Genny2.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
What I'd like to do is accumulate all of the necessary rebuild info before I crack one of these open and find out that I just damaged it due to ignorance. I'm looking for info on what manuals I need to track down and what parts are necessary. The genny in the truck works fine and the spare is untested due to a lack of a pulley & nut.

I figure I can do one over the summer break and then show the students how to do one in August when they're back. It will be a fun way to teach them some electrical principles, but not quite as much fun as a distributor and coil :lol: .

Andy
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Generator Rebuild

Post by NAM VET »

There are times I wish I could be a student in one of your shop classes.....

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

TM9-1825B (the 1952 version) has it. I was never able to find it online, so bought one.
I also bought several rebuild kits from armytankguy on fleabay.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Just Me is right about the 1952 version of TM9-1825B having information on the stock G741 generator, but the generator in Andy's photo is slightly different. The model number appears to be GHA-4804UT, but the stock G741 series gen is GHA-4802UT. Also, the nameplate says "Prestolite", which is a later trade name for Autolite, adopted sometime in the 1960s, I think. Both generators would be 25 amp and waterproof, so I can't say without more digging what the difference(s) would be.

But the TM9-1825B of 1952 should be enough to rebuild that gen, Andy. The best printed version I've found (clearest text and photos) is from this guy: http://themanualguys.com/303.1%20~%20Tr ... 201952.htm
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The guys Elwood linked are the guys I've bought All my manuals from. Good guys and local to me.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2920-00-238-896 ... NQ&vxp=mtr

Told it would work with the later generator unit. Any thoughts?
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776