Post by anthony manzella »

WHERE TO GO FOR DRUMS & SHOES AND WHAT PRICE NEW IF POSSILABLE 8) :wink:
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: drums & shoes

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

anthony manzella wrote:WHERE TO GO FOR DRUMS & SHOES AND WHAT PRICE NEW IF POSSILABLE 8) :wink:
Good luck with finding new drums, if you do, expect to pay a PREMIUM price for them. Be sure you are getting new drums & not turned drums. We have new shoes or can reline your old ones.

The situation with drums is one thing that makes the disc system so attractive, plus local availability of normal wear components once the system is initially installed. I highly recommend it on all 4 wheels.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

I

Post by DAP »

I have some used takeoffs that have been sand blasted and look good BUT no way to measure them plus in less you come to NC shipping is the killer
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Drums & shoes

Post by Nickathome »

I see that John Bizal now offers oversized brake shoes which can be used to extend life of older drums.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Not a good idea to use thicker linings or shimmed linings. The reason is this, if you get a good job doing that, the drums must be turned to get them true. Turned drums wind up being to thin, will warp quickly due to heat & so on. Once they warp, good brakes are history & you still have all your $$$ tied up in a brake job that isn't that great. We've tried it all, my opinion is this: I wouldn't take a customers money to do this type of brake job, it simply isn't the best it can be & that's not the kind of service we offer here. Just my honest opinion based on been there & done that, also redone it when the customer wasn't happy.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

My sentiments, exactly, Charles! I was going to warn against the oversize shoes, too. As you say, in order for them to fit and work properly, the drums must be turned. They can only be turned so far before you can expect warpage problems and my guess would be that, as old as most of them are, they've probably already been turned as much as is allowable.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Oversized shoes...

Post by Nickathome »

I was assuming the shoes are meant for worn drums that maybe haven't been turned, not drums that have been recently turned to allow the oversized shoes to fit.
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

drums & shoes

WOW ! was almost going to go with the over size shoes , some times things can be very misleading , but once again saved by the bell , ! THANK YOU ! :wink: 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

It's common practice on heavy trucks to use thicker lining, nothing at all wrong with it in the right situation. As the saying goes, "there's a time & place for everything." It just isn't a good practice at all on a M37. The drums are relatively thin when new, don't know why they never made them thicker so they would stand turning & still be servicable, but they didn't. Usually a turned drum is past spec by the time you cut them enough to get true. A thin drum will heat up & warp quickly on a couple of hard brake applications. When warped, when pedal pressure is applied it will force the pedal back out at you as the egg shaped drum turns. A person who just paid a few hundred $$ for a brake job will be unhappy very quickly, doesn't matter who did the work.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

drums & shoes

SO WITH ALL THAT HAS BEEN SAID IT LOOKS LIKE MY FIRST GAME PLAIN IS THE WAY TO GO EVEN THOUGH IT COULD BE A TAD EXPAINIVE IN THE LONG RUN IT REALY NOT , GUESS EVERYBODY LOOKS FOR CHEAP WAY OUT , DO'nt HAVE A BOAT LOAD OF MONEY BUT PAY NOW AND PLAY FOR A LONGER TIME AFTER :wink: 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

DRUMS & SHOES

OK NOW I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ARE THE FRONT SIZE AND WHAT ARE THE REAR SIZE I've located a shop close to me but need the size for both FRONT & REAR DRUMS are they front 12 1/8x2 rear 13x 2 1/2 :?:
Hit Duh Ground Runnin