SUCCESS-Turn signals died...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

SUCCESS-Turn signals died...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello All,
It's always something with these old trucks. I just completed my transmission fix a couple of weeks ago, and before I did a test drive I decided to check all my lights. To my surprise the turn signals and emergency flashers have stopped working. Since I run the Painless Performance harness I began troubleshooting, and so far everything is pointing to the turn signal switch-the sole component I did NOT replace when I installed my harness.

Saturday offers temps in the mid 60s before the next snow Sunday night. I hope to solve this issue soon w/o buying another switch, although the Signal Stat model I run is plentiful on eBay....

More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Turn signals died...

Post by ashyers »

Gary,
We put mine back in action yesterday. Maybe our trucks switch off?!

I have an ancient switch if you need parts. I'll send a photo next time I'm down at the Shop.

The rebuilt trans shifts well, but it never shifted too badly in the past. Considering how far the syncros were worn I'm surprised it worked so well. It is quieter now :).

We're doing Cars and Coffee tomorrow so I can go park with the prancey horse cars. The OD sets off well with the red :lol: !

Andy
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I recently replaced my non-functional Signal Stat 600 with a "Stat 900, with a new 24 V flasher from Grainger. Works for me.

all the best....
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks guys,
I'm getting back to this tomorrow afternoon, and I may have finally figured it out.
More to follow,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

my turn signal switch died today also
it was an old one that came with the truck

I am going to replace it

yay I get to cut apart my new wiring harness I just finished :roll:
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Finally, success! After repeated troubleshooting within my level of experience, and a couple of calls to Painless Performance, I now have working signals and flashers again. One of the flasher motors failed, and while I'd replaced one unit w/o success and still had no power at the flasher plugs on the box, Painless instructed me to make two jumper wires with spade terminals to bypass the flasher motor itself, using the jumper wires in their place. I did so, and the lights lit up, so I replaced the emergency side jumper wire with one of the original flasher motors that promptly failed and blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse then tried another flasher motor that worked. So, half way home. I then swapped the turn signal side jumper wire with a new flasher unit and behold-turn signals now work too!

So I cleaned up all of the loose wiring and tidied up the cab. I also ordered a couple of braided ground wires that I will install in order to ensure I have solid grounds on the M. Jason at Painless advised that this is one of the most common problems-poor grounds.

Anyway, glad this is done. TBD on the next repair to be done....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Juan
SGT
SGT

Re: SUCCESS-Turn signals died...

Post by Juan »

Just curious, What painless wiring harness are you using? a universal one? a custom made?
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Juan, I have the 8 circuit Painless Harness, it works flawless.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine is the Painless Performance non-GM 10104 kit. I also used their headlight switch until I can find the time to graph the wires into the military headlight switch.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Post by Stovebolt »

I have the original Signal Stat 600 on my truck, as well ('63 M-37B1). I have no front marker lights, turn signals, 4 ways or brake lights. Would a bad 600 unit also be causing the negative function of the brake lights or is that an additional failure of something else?

I have an older 900 unit that bench tested fine with 12 volts. What do I need to do to it, if anything, to use it with 24 volts?

Thanks,
John
1963 Dodge M-37B-1 W/W -- "Requisitioned" from the Army ...

"Last to Know, First to Go."
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

You just need a 24 volt flasher. I got mine from Grainger.

NV :shock:
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Oh, and replace the tiny bulb with a 24 volt bulb. Mine from NAPA
Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Post by Stovebolt »

Do I need a new flasher?

Also, consulted the wiring diagram from the TM (the one that covers the B-1). How do I match up wires to the new 900 Signal Stat?? The diagram just shows the wires on the 600 unit as being A,B, H or whatever and that they connect to the corresponding stations on the relay box. But how do you know how to connect the wires if upgrading the a 900 unit, or using a unit from a newer MV? For instance, I can grab the switch and box out of an M-816 that is being parted out ... but how would it connect??? I don't really want to butcher up my existing harness....

so much for this being simple.

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I removed my relay box, with the connectors on each side, and just put in a 900 and it works fine. I have some posts about it a month or so ago. I have no idea how to hook a signal stat to the old box. Mine works great. Why use the box, when just a S'Stat 900 along is fool proof?

NV
Stovebolt
PVT
PVT

Post by Stovebolt »

Well, that's a good question and I hadn't thought of doing that. My day job is working for a major military Systems Command so I guess it's programmed into me not to mess with engineering configurations without reams of documentation and authorization ... Thanks for giving me an alternative!