Tree-hugging

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Tree-hugging

Post by N1VSM »

I know that in an ideal world, a bt4 powered M37 gets about 20 mpg, while a rebuilt 230 gets about 8. Even with gas & diesel prices where they are, the diesel wins the $/mile round.

Here's my question - which has cleaner emissions per mile? I know that the lovely smell of the exhaust of either engine doesn't relate to the envirodisastergas that it blows out the tailpipe.

I wanted a green vehicle - that's why I got my M37. :wink:
Next time someone gives you flack about your rig, ask them how much mulch they can haul in their Prius, or if they can take 8 of their closest friends on the ride of their lives in one trip.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Well...the Berkshires are mountains, in a manner of speaking. ;)

Those of you who live in the land of the real mountains may want to ask some of those Prius-driving yuppie tree-huggers how they plan to haul themselves, their two-and-a-half kids, their camping equipment, and a week's worth of food/medical supplies up above the tree-line to their favorite campsite with a view (and 5 bars of cell/wi-fi access). :twisted:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Tree-hugging

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

N1VSM wrote:I know that in an ideal world, a bt4 powered M37 gets about 20 mpg, while a rebuilt 230 gets about 8. Even with gas & diesel prices where they are, the diesel wins the $/mile round.

Here's my question - which has cleaner emissions per mile? I know that the lovely smell of the exhaust of either engine doesn't relate to the envirodisastergas that it blows out the tailpipe.

I wanted a green vehicle - that's why I got my M37. :wink:
Next time someone gives you flack about your rig, ask them how much mulch they can haul in their Prius, or if they can take 8 of their closest friends on the ride of their lives in one trip.
I can answer your question based on the new Cummins we install. Certainly the Cummins offers less emissions. The engines we get from Cummins keep changing to meet new specs as emission regulations change. I don't know how the take-out Cummins engines that many install measure up in this catagory. We have always used new engines straight from Cummins. The ones we install are also approved to run on biodiesel fuel.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

What Charles says is gospel. With regard to the older diesels, I learned many years ago that, in terms of environmental pollution, diesels have always been "cleaner" than gasoline engines. Two-stroke gas engines are by far the worst, pollution-wise, but we still use them on lawn mowers and outboard motors.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

I plan to get plates that read "GO GREEN" or "HYBRID"for my rig when it is road ready :twisted:
I also plan to make little leaflets for Hybrid drivers that read "Thanks for driving this toy so Al Gore and I can have more gasoline" to be left on windshields 8)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".