Vintage Power Wagons

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m-11
SGT
SGT

Vintage Power Wagons

Post by m-11 »

Has anyone had dealings with this company? I stumbled on the website and received their free catalogue. They seem to have a lot of items mostly repro stuff and a few NOS items. Just doing research for now to find reputable vendors for parts when I start my resto. I'm sure most of the NOS stuff is long gone or pretty damn hard to find.

Thanks!

Tim
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

A lot of the people here have dealt with VPW. Most have been happy with them, some have not, but that's true of any business.

They deal primarily in parts/accessories for the flat-fender power wagons, but do have lots of stuff for the old WC series Dodges and some M37 stuff.

I've read comments that their prices are a bit higher than some of the other vendors, but not having bought anything from them or any of the others (yet) I can't vouch for that.

Find out what you need, check with VPW and the other vendors, and buy it from wherever you can get the best deal. There will be times when one vendor will have a part that none of the others has in stock and you'll have to pay the asking price, but that's to be expected when dealing with 50+-year-old vehicles.

Wherever you get your parts, enjoy working on your truck! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

VPW
Has always treated me fair.
There prices are a for the most part fair,some items are pricey.
Another Great Place to deal with is John, @Midwest Military.

http://www.midwestmil.com/

And don't Forget Sid Beck@ Ace Surplus He and AB Linn are my favorites
Then ofcourse you always have E-bay
Like Lifer Said,
You need to shop around. There are many other Great Supliers out there.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
TGP
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Tom & Lifer

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hit all of the guys that are worth their weight in salt(Sid is my "Go-To Guy"). VPW has had some good , but pricey stuff, I bought a NOS Front Fender from them a couple of years ago, please don't ask how much, it was embarrassing, how much I spent, then there was the shipping, it still had a fed tag/stock # on it.
I'll see if I can find a pic of it?
[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/112 ... .jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/112 ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

I but stuff from them every now an again. They are high on the prices and I think that their customer service is lacking at times. But you will get what you want and for most things they do have them. I do prefer midwest millitary when I have a choice.
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

Are their any other suppliers other than VPW and midwest military that have websites? I'm in the midst of restoring my M151-A2 and I researched all possible suppliers than sat down in front of the computer and did some comparison shopping. There's a lot to consider when buying like this because you have to factor in the shipping cost. Sometimes a part maybe a few bucks cheaper but when you factor in the shipping they cost the same or more due to distance away. Of course there is E-Bay but I usually check my other sources for their price before I bid. I've saved a lot of money using E-Bay and haven't had a problem. Of course if its not NOS I don't bother bidding. Not much point of replacing an old part with an old part.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

VPW

Post by Nickathome »

They screwed up the first order I ever placed with them, so right off that didn't sit well with me. They did make it right though, and also had a part I needed that noone else did, so in a sense they redeemed themselves to a degree. I still would rather do business with Sid Beck or Midwest military before I'll go to VPW. I will however use them as a last resort provided they have what I need......
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

VPW was the first vendor I found for the M37. I've had good luck with them-Steve and Jens always worked with me and offered sound advice whenever I had difficulty. Pricing can be a bit over average, but the single time I had to return a part the transaction was handled expediently and without any hassle.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Ditto to Nick - bad deal started out, attempted to redeem themselves. I support the guys on this site - MWM, Sid, Charles, etc....
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Trader John

Post by m-37Bruce »

m-11 wrote:Are their any other suppliers other than VPW and midwest military that have websites? I'm in the midst of restoring my M151-A2 and I researched all possible suppliers than sat down in front of the computer and did some comparison shopping. There's a lot to consider when buying like this because you have to factor in the shipping cost. Sometimes a part maybe a few bucks cheaper but when you factor in the shipping they cost the same or more due to distance away. Of course there is E-Bay but I usually check my other sources for their price before I bid. I've saved a lot of money using E-Bay and haven't had a problem. Of course if its not NOS I don't bother bidding. Not much point of replacing an old part with an old part.
In Illinois, I think? Adirondack Dodge in up-state New York, both have web sites, very reputable guys, Fred lurks here from time to time, always give a fair shake too!
JMHO,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I live in Abingdon, Illinois. VPW is in Fairfield, Iowa. It's exactly 100 miles from here to there. If I needed a heavy part and they had it, I'd probably go there first and haul it home myself. Even with gas prices what they are today, it would still be cheaper for me to drive over and back than it would be to pay shipping charges. Besides, I could stop at the Old Thresher's museum in Mount Pleasant and check out the old steam engines. They have a big reunion every year during the Labor Day weekend with lots of stinkin', smokin' engines doing all sorts of old-timey farm stuff. During the rest of the year, you can usually find someone there playing with his steam tractor. Last time I stopped by, I got to drive one. That was a treat! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Bought lots of parts for years for my WC52, this continued until they sold me parts that didn't fit and refused to make good on it. Never would buy from them again. Buy exclusively from Big John at Midwest. He's got me out of alot of jams with my M35A2, and now with an M37...There is no BS with John...Peter Mark
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
kc8sfq
PVT
PVT

VPW

Post by kc8sfq »

I attended their rally (#7) and on the way, my truck developed a TERRIBLE noise underneath. The mechanic rebuilt the transfer for $500 and when we took it out for a test drive it was still making the noise. It turned out to be the rear dif. Butler then sold me a dif for $350 at a time when they were about $150 on the used market. On the way out I decided to buy the drain hose for the cowl vent. I expected a preformed hose for the $19 price. It turned out to be a piece of gas line hose available at any parts store for about 50cents a foot. After I'd spent $850 with him, Dave still charged me for the hose. I never say "never" but to date, I haven't spent another dime at VPW. He's still in business a dozen+ years later, so he must be keeping SOMEBODY happy, but I wasn't.

A.B. Linn on the other hand has been exactly the opposite. I've spent thousands with him, and EVERY thing has been better than it sounded on the phone. I bought a trailer from A.B., at the time, they were going for $500. I couldn't stand to drive all the way there from Mich to pick it up, and not walk around a bit. By the time I left his place it was full of stuff I had no idea I wanted when I walked in there. Stuff just kept jumping up and saying "take me home too" I wrote him a check for $1300. Boy... Was my wife proud of me. I've also done a bit of business with John at Midwest and been equally pleased.
No society in history has ever taxed it's way to prosperity.
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Well, what can I say. I am happy to deal with Big John Midwest, and thank you for the lead to tghe other vendor...I do plan on having, owning and driving a military vehicle for ever...and will always appreciate a vendor with the right sense of integrity. Peter
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Midwest Military

Post by Longhunter7 »

Gentlemen,

I have had good luck with John Bizal at Midwest Military.

I just received the Oak bed wood for my M37 and it is beautiful. It is cut to length, sanded, has pre-drilled holes and the edges rounded.

I have purchased items from Vintage Power Wagon and had no problems.

Sid Beck has been a live saver on several occasions, and A.B. Linn has been great too!

Stay with these vendors and you will be good to go!
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist