Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Using Antique License Plates

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

This probably varies by state.........but does anyone know if you're allowed to use RESTORED antique plates on your M37 when you register it..........or do they have to be in original condition? In Maryland we can use old plates of the proper year the vehicle was manufactured, but the gal I talked to at the MVA didn't have a clue if they could be restored (with the proper original colors, of course). Maryland had 2 license plates back in the early 50's.........one for cars and the other for trucks. Talking to a license plate collector at the Aberdeen meet this year he told me I would have to find a set of the truck plates, not the regular car plates, as even pickup trucks were considered "trucks" back then, but I might get away with using car plates if the person behind the MVA counter didn't know that there were 2 different plates back in the day.

Finding a pair of 1952 or 1953 Maryland truck plates in usable condition is pretty tough. The difference between the two is simply the month embossed on the bottom of the plate. Car plates say "March" and truck plates say "April". Car plates are actually not hard to find, but truck plates are like hen's teeth. The vendor at Aberdeen had a nice set of 1952 car plates for $30, but the only pair of 52 truck plates he had were rusted to the point of having no paint on them...........and he wanted over $200 for them. So you get the picture.

I called MVA wanting to find out what the condition of the plates had to be in order for them to allow me to use them, but I hate calling them with questions like this because they never know the answer. If anyone knows if they allow you to used restored plates........or if you can use them with some rust and paint loss, but otherwise originals..........I'd love to know.

thanks,
bob
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Using Antique License Plates

Post by carolinamv »

I see them restored on classic cars here in CO, but in CO if its a historic Military Vehicle ,restored or semi restored you don't have to mount plates on it at all but keep them In the cab , Jay
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

In AZ they can be even poorly restored. (Mine). There was no 1953 plate here, only a 1952 and then metal tab that had 53 embossed that slipped over the 52. My plate was $35. MVD had no problem with the year. I did later find a perfect 53 tab for $100! Wow! And it is on it now as well. I pay an extra $25 a year for "specialty" plate.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Just,

Maryland did the same thing...........slipped a metal tabbed plate over the 52 that said 53.

Jay........I like that idea. :D

thanks,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I pay $10 annually for the "Vintage Vehicle" plate; haven't seen any old plates on historic vehicles here in Utah.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

one problem with special plates with no yearly fee is you cant use it to haul anything. at least not here in WA. the tabs cover the GVW so your insurance wont cover for liability with antique plates. If you have al oad of gravel or something heavy and get in a wreck you are on your own and cops can ticket you for hauling.
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

in mi they need to be original or restored to original colors

and I believe the only restriction is you have to park the vehicle 1 month of the year
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Arizona doesn't care about the plate. You can get over 50 different specialty plates from the MVD. The yearly sticker is all they are concerned with. You do have to run it on the old plate. No restrictions on the vehicle. Mine is just registered as a 1953 Dodge PU. Tabs are $30 a year here. My plate is dented and bent up, painted poorly with Krylon. They never even looked at it. So long as the photo radar can see "ARIZONA" at the top, the gov't is happy.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Wow........interesting how each state handles it. I need to mention the sticker thing to the MVA person I talk to next. I hadn't thought about it, but I'm guessing I'd need to put the current yearly registration sticker on the plate somewhere. Hmmmmm.

thanks,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

52PLOWERWAGON wrote:in mi they need to be original or restored to original colors

and I believe the only restriction is you have to park the vehicle 1 month of the year
The requirement for using correct colors on an authentic Michigan plate is spot on. I've not heard of the one month thing before, however. There are restrictions about how the vehicle can and cannot be used, e.g. not for general transportation, but there are no requirements that it has to be parked for one month of the year. See: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html

In Michigan, we are allowed to run military vehicles with no plate displayed. The vehicle has to have a plate (either regular or historic vehicle), but if the vehicle was not originally required to have a state plate when in military service, then it can be carried in the vehicle but not displayed to maintain the historical accuracy. Carrying a copy of the state law (below) along with the plate would probably head off any arguments at the side of the road. :wink:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents ... A-0026.pdf

Maybe Maryland has something similar?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

I do the same in Colorado Elwood.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

I didn't realize they passed that
Elwood wrote:
52PLOWERWAGON wrote:in mi they need to be original or restored to original colors

The requirement for using correct colors on an authentic Michigan plate is spot on. I've not heard of the one month thing before, however. There are restrictions about how the vehicle can and cannot be used, e.g. not for general transportation, but there are no requirements that it has to be parked for one month of the year. See: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html

In Michigan, we are allowed to run military vehicles with no plate displayed. The vehicle has to have a plate (either regular or historic vehicle), but if the vehicle was not originally required to have a state plate when in military service, then it can be carried in the vehicle but not displayed to maintain the historical accuracy. Carrying a copy of the state law (below) along with the plate would probably head off any arguments at the side of the road. :wink:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents ... A-0026.pdf

Maybe Maryland has something similar?
i only heard the one month thing once they may have been referring to a different plate or possibly their insurance policy i cant remember
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL